Citalopram and birth control pill

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all!

I have been taking Citalopram for 4 months now majorly for anxiety (panic) and the depression accompaining it. I'm at 30mg and until two weeks ago I was feeling absolutely great. Then I decided to start taking my birth control pill and Boom! All my anxiety and depression seems to be back! It is as if I weren't taking Citalopram at all anymore (although I take it religiously every day). 

I am curious to know if anybody else have the same or similar experience.

I take also the opportunity to thank all the participants in this forum for the amazing support given one another. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi ilhabela,

While my experience is slightly different I thought I'd share. I'm not on birth control but I am pregnant and like you I felt as though my medication suddenly stopped working. I suspect hormones play a strong role. My doctor has increased my dosage anI'm coping with side effects until my emotions even out. Definitely speak to your doctor as soon as you can. Hope this helps, feel better soon smile

Sam

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Samantha and congrats on the baby! I also think the hormones have a big role on all this mess! It's just so exhausting... You think you are finally getting better and then you just fall down again!

When did you start your higher dosis if you dont mind me asking? and what type of other side effects are you experiencing?

I really hope we all feel better soon!

• Posted

Hi again,

I started the higher dose Tuesday and am having a rough time. General anxiety, no appetite, waves of panic. I'm optimistic though that over the next few days the medication will take effect, I think it's just a bit tougher again because of the hormones. And you're right, setbacks are awful but I was on citalopram for 7 years with very few issues before this so I'm confident that things will even out smile

Sam

• Posted

Hi, I take citalopram with the contraceptive jag and find no problems. Maybe see if you can change your contraception to something else. I would talk to your doctor and see what he says. Good luck x
    • Posted

Hi Louise!

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me which pill you take? I take Microgynon, but after the last week I will stop it for sure! I actually decided to take birth control pill for my bad PMS. 

• Posted

Hi why not change from a pill, to a 3 month injection, it might help.
    • Posted

I will talk to my doc about the choices... I have the impression that those artificial hormones make me feel worse...
    • Posted

Hi citalprom is a great drug,it changed my life after 25 years of depression , l did not know l heard , but to yours, why not take it just before bed,, cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.