Citalopram and coffee

Posted , 8 users are following.

is it just me or does anybody else get extremley shakey when they drink coffee with this med? i quit drinking coffee 3 months ago when my symptoms appreard. i got a new job and finally went back to work and thought id have half a coffee today.. HORRIBLE idea. i cant stop shaking, im anxious, and super tingly. 😦 messed up my stomach too.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hello, a really good realisation, not everyone makes it. anything with caffeine in, will increase the anxiety of anyone who suffers from anxiety, which is everyone taking an anti depressant. caffeine fuels anxiety. people that dont get anxious, tend to just get woken up or livlier, and it doesnt seem to effect them so much. its the same with cola and other fizzy drinks, anything with caffeine in it. anyone that gets anxious should avoid it. its not to do with the type of anti depressant you take. once you cut out caffeine completely, you will notice your anxiety gradually drop over a few weeks. if i have one diet coke a day for a week, im a complete mess within a week, and takes me a couple of weeks to cone back down once i stop.

• Posted

Yep. Am avoiding the coffee. Had a bit of a tea binge last week and then felt weird for a few days after. Strange, but I was always OK with tea before. Now am on the herbal tea....

• Posted

hi anything with caffeine will heighten anxiety i have 1 coffee a day then have a couple decaff as i am the same .Also if i eat a lot of chocolate i can have a bit of a turn

• Posted

i agree with everyone NO CAFFEINE. Also go fir a walk each day. Start with 15 min and add 5-10 min a day. I walk about 45 min a day. It helps with sleep and anxiety.

• Posted

Yes, even one cup of coffee makes me want to climb the walls, I stick to peppermint tea as has no caffeine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.