citalopram and driving

Posted , 4 users are following.

I drive for a living but have suffered with depression for 6 or 7 years i only had the courage to go to the doctors yesterday as i have always felt embarrassed about it. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any side effects taking these tablets which can effect ya driving as I dont want to start taking them if I cant drive.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul - I havent noticed a problem driving whilst taking them, but I guess everyone is different! How much have you been put on?
    • Posted

10 mg i got them yesterday but havent taken any yet and when is the best time to take them as i dont want to take them if they make me tired as i wont be able to drive.
    • Posted

I took mine mid morning and was ok but you may feel tired a bit to begin with. Best to ask doc or a pharmacist I guess though. 
  • Posted

Hi, I've been on citalipram for almost a good two years now,,and I haven't a problem now. At first they took a time getting use to. What strength are you on? Claire
    • Posted

10 mg also can you drink alchol the doctor said ya shouldnt but they say that about all tablets.
    • Posted

I drank on them and was ok but you aren't really meant to but I think people do from what I have heard. It may reduce how well they work but I didn't have any major issues 
  • Posted

Hi Paul. I have been on Cit for about 3 years now, going from 10mg to 20, then to 40mg. It hasnt affected my driving in the slightest and iv never spoken to anyone that it has. I know it can help you sleep but i dont think they make you tired enough for them to affect anything. I would try to start taking the tablets when you have a week off work maybe as the side effects are always worse at the beginning. When i first started i felt very sick and weak on a morning, but this only lasted a week or 2. My best friend has started taking them and she says the same, she has had to change when she takes hers as she as 2 every young children to deal with in a morning so getting over the 2 weeks of them kicking in is difficult.

If they do make you feel tired it will probably only be very slightly and like i say, will be worse at the beginning... x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.