Citalopram and Food Interactions??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I've taken Citalopram for 5 years and just recently upped my dose to 30mg.

I've always been told that there is no major food interactions with this drug (other than maybe grapefruit? and alcohol).  However, I found this one site and it claims that Citalopram interacts with all these foods:

Tyramine Rich Food Products: 

"Tyramine Rich Food Products: Interaction between citalopram and tyramine-rich foods like cheese, milk, beef, chicken liver, meat extract, avocados, bananas, canned figs, soy beans and excess chocolate can result in sudden and dangerous increase in blood pressure." 

I got freaked out and called the pharmacist and they said there were no major food interactions I should watch out for.

The site was from MedIndia (I'm from the US btw).  So, I'm guessing there's just an error?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

That is ridiculously funny..
    • Posted

I would be dead by now ..if that was the case ..and my mother too .shes been on celexa for over twenty years and she eats all those foods..and so did I..
    • Posted

Don't believe everything you read on the internet..if that was the case I would be in a mental institution with all the crap that's out there on the net..

• Posted

You probably read it wrong .I know that the older antidepressants..like maois.you gotto watch your above stated foods..but not ssris..
    • Posted

Ah, ok.  Yeah, I figured it was wrong info because no other site states those interactions and neither has my doctor or the pharmacist.  

I just got freaked out - most likely because I'm more paranoid from the 10mg increase I just went on ;D

• Posted

Maybe the author of the article got them mixed up lol?  This was stated under "Citalopram".  I can send you the link if you want.

• Posted

Don't worry about it..just relax and try not to doctor Google so much..the increase in dosage .is going to give you start up effects again..if you have any questions this forum is helpful..take care

• Posted

Oh, yeah - I know I should never Google things from before (when will I learn? lol).

Yep, It's day 12 for me and I've definitely felt the side effects - feel it's slightly getting better.  Thanks!

• Posted

Trust me they got it wrong..this is the most popular antidepressant on the market with millions of people taking it..all ssris are chemically base on the same chemicals..so in fact there are over 40millions humans on ssris..so the food issue would be very problematic if that was the case
    • Posted

Gotcha wink  Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.