Citalopram and headaches

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I've been taking Citalopram for 2 weeks now, first 10 days 10mg and then upped to 20mg, but seem to get tension headaches at the side of my head and still feel a bit zombish and low mood, is it still early days yet ???X

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Krista, some people feel benefit from the first few days but for others it takes 2-6 weeks to feel maximum help. The first 2 weeks are definitely the worst so ell done you have passed this. Try take one day at a time. I am sure it will help you and you will begin to feel better soon. Love and blessings gilip
  • Posted

Hi. Yes this is normal and still early days. I found when I increased I would feel rubbish for a couple of days. The first 2 to 3 weeks are the worst. Stick with the 20mg. I'm now on 40mg and doing so much better. It takes time. Just tell yourself it's the meds making you feel this way and not you. You will improve x

• Posted

Hi Joanne can I ask what you mean by feeling rubbish please? Like Krista I am in first few weeks feeling awful on tablets; very tired, foggy brain, forgetful! Is this normal?  When things have improved are you able to think and feel as normal?
    • Posted

Thanks for your replies, yes Diane a foggy brain, that's a good way of putting it, for someone who has never suffered with anxiety or depression this is all new to me, its like am detached from real life and just going through the motions of everyday life, fumbling to get through each day. Am 2 weeks in so hoping to see a improvement soon, also am probley only eating one meal a day, cant face food, is this also normal ???X

• Posted

Nausea/poor appetite are usually the first side effects to go for me, the foggy brain will clear gradually. I'm a month in and I'm getting short periods of being with it if you get me, as you adapt to the meds these periods of normality get longer. It's a slow process but worth it.

• Posted

Very early days it will be many months before your body settles down and it will be a slow process to reduce then perhaps stop taking this drug. Time is a great healer. 
  • Posted

Your still very early it will take 12weeks or longer for these side effects to subside..and celexa might settle for you..at 12weeks or longer..
    • Posted

Hi I am now 4 weeks in and starting to feel much better and side effects have largely  subsided. Thanks to everyone who advised me to hang in there - it has definitely been worth it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.