Citalopram and IBS

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all

i an on cit for a second time for anxiety and depression - just over weeks in total and 2 weeks on 20mg. i have IBS which is part of the reason for going back on them. it was better when i was on the medication and got really bad when i came off. i started the low fodmap diet before i restarted the meds and that seemed to help a bit (i get really bad lower abdominal pain) and it was ok for the first few weeks back on the cit despite really bad anxiety until we went on holiday last week when the pain got really bad again. anybody else on cit with IBS? whats been your experience? thanks heaps

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tamsin07572 I am also an ibs sufferer and also using Citrolopram 20 mgs Since being on this medication my ibs has slowed down allot,and now able within reason able to eat whatever i want all be it on smaller levels.What type of foods were you eating whilst on holiday as certain foods can still upset your stomach and cause ibs too still give you problems.Also remember until you have completed 8//10 weeks of medication you will still get side effects.If you get lower stomach problems ,try taken Buscopen which you can buy or get prescribe from your gp.What age are you and why did you stop taken medication and also spicy foods can give ibs problems.

• Posted

hi marsh thanks for replying. i am 46 have had ibs for years on and off as well as anxiety. stupidly stopped the medication because i was feeling better. i do have some buscopan but havent used it. i dont think its very good for constipation which i have and my pain is only partly crampy more just there for several hours or more at a time.

• Posted

I've got IBS, did bit research when first got it, i cut out cows milk and switched to goats milk, also cut out cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli apart from only occasionally as meant to aggravate it which generally seemed to keep it at bay. Used to get awful constipation but the goats milk seems to have sorted it. Had to come off citalopram as made my hair fall out and seemed make anxiety worse, but don't think it affected IBS. If I get flare up buscopan helps .

• Posted

thanks lemanna - so are you on no medication for anxiety now?

• Posted

Started low dose sertraline couple days ago. mine caused by zopiclone withdrawal, anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Tried citalopram for 8 weeks but couldn't put up wiith the side effects so hoping this better. Least haIr improving. had few IBS flare ups since stopped zops in January but just take buscopan & hot water bottle helps stomach cramps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.