Citalopram and Insomnia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good afternoon all and thanks for taking the time to read this. I have been on Citalopram for 9 days now (being treated for depression) and looking for some positive encouragement regarding the Insomnia that has gotten worse since starting the meds. Last night I went to bed at 2100, fell asleep at 2300, woke up at 130 and fell asleep again at 430. Alarm clock then went off at 530. Needless to say I'm wiped and discouraged!

How long can I expect this to last? I know it takes 4-6 weeks for Citalopram to become effective.

Thanks,

Matt

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi matt its a common side effect that for most does go away after a couple of weeks. you could try some benadryl or phenergan to get you over the hump? lots of people use it. Otherwise you could talk to your doc about adding in a low dose of mirtazipine which is sedating.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! I'll keep the benadryl in mind should I need to. Have a good day.

• Posted

it def does settle.. I was on 10mg for 4 weeks and been on 20 mg for 19 days and my insomnia was so bad.. I've slept so well this past few weeks.. it will pass I know it doesnt feel like it now but hang in there

• Posted

Glad to hear it got better for you Laura, that is very encouraging for me! I am on 20 mg as well and was very discouraged (hence the post). Had a good night of sleep last night but I am not counting my chickens quite yet!

Thanks for the reply and have a good day!

• Posted

you too.. I read these discussions day in and day out at the beginning.. I wanted so much to feel better.. the sleep will get better and as each day goes on it will get better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.