Citalopram and lightheadedness

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. Just want to see if anyone else has experienced this on Citalopram.

I took Citalopram 10mg for 13 years and went through a point with severe anxiety so my dr switched me to 25 mg of Sertraline. I did very well on it for 4 years until recently. I have severe anxiety and depression because of the anxiety.

So today is my 10th day on 10 mg of Citalopram and I am super lightheaded throughout the day. It scares me because I feel like I am going to pass out bit I don't. I called my dr and pharmacists and they say it's a very common side effect of Citalopram. Also, my therapist says it comes with high anxiety too. The side effects I have are heightend anxiety and lightheadedness. I do have a claw cane to use for stability.

And yes my blood pressure is always good when I go to the dr.

If anyone else struggles with this please respond. I need reassuring that it's just a side effect and when will it go away?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi stacie,yes,it is a part of a side effect.You will feel other side effects of citrolopram until the ssri works into your body ,and will last for 6/8 weeks.so please persevere because this medication is very good
  • Posted

Stacie,

I also experienced this when I started the 10mg dosage. I felt pretty lightheaded and generally unstable the first few days. For me, making sure I was getting plenty of water and sleep really helped, I think it went away after two weeks or so. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi! 

Same here! I have been on citalopram for 4 weeks now. 2 weeks on 10mg and now 2 weeks on 20mg. And the lightheaded and dizziness freaks me out!! I feel like my eyes are tired also! It helps knowing I’m not alone either! 

• Posted

Do you feel it most of the day? And does it feel like your going to pass out at times?
    • Posted

It. Ever got to the point that I was gonna pass out but it comes and goes throughout the day! Hang in there! 
  • Posted

Hi Stacie,

I'm thinking you could be having both withdrawal effects from setraline and start up effects from citalopram.

Citalopram takes several weeks to start taking effect and lightheadedness is a common side effect.

Sometimes going on it for the second time is not as smooth as the first time.

I was on it for many years and came off. When I reinstated I had lightheadedness that I couldn't remember having the first time round. Now I'm weaning off it, it's been about 7 weeks or so, and am getting horrible lightheadedness just about every day.

Just like you I'm hoping that feeling will pass once my system has adjusted to the new dose. It's different for everybody but a lot of people here say it will pass, you have to give it time.

I hope you find relief soon.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding. I pray everyday to feel better. I hope you do too.
  • Posted

Good news is it will go away bad news is it may take a few more weeks.. try your best to stick it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.