Citalopram and mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi there is anyone on this combo? I am on cit for the second time -5 weeks in with 3 of those on 20mg. its not helping the anxiety at all in fact it has made it worse. Was wondering about talking to the dic about adding in mirtazapine. is anyone else doing this? Does it work for anxiety and is it safe?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

i know you are desperate but five weeks is still too early.

• Posted

adding more meds just creates more drama .wait at least three months to add anything else.

• Posted

i just want to get rid of the extreme anxiety - cabt cope with it for a few more weeks let alone monthd. Read all these reviews of citalopram basically showing that it either works really pretty quickly or doesnt work at all. quite a few people saying it didnt work the second time

• Posted

I added mirtazipine and it was the worst thing I ever did. it's not something I would suggest doing tamsin honestly. it made my anxiety a thousand times worse x keep going with the citalopram. I've seen a lot of people get better the second time round and it has worked for them really well. it just takes longer the second time round x

• Posted

hi, i think it usually takes a lot longer for the meds to kick in lovely, i have been on the combo you mentioned and personally the mirt was better than the cit, but i honestly think you need to try and wait 3 months on a single dose, im currently coming off cit and its really hard as was mirt x

• Posted

i was on mirtazapine and from my experience on both these meds (not together) i would advise sticking it out, im on week 8 cit and its hit me like a brick the past few days but i know it will blow over , like louis says 5 weeks is nothing , only benefit i liked about mirtazapine was the increased appetite as with cit i have just lost it all together its a good med you just have to give it time unfortunatly

• Posted

thanks James its just so hard to be patient and to keep positive thats it going work

• Posted

exactly the point i am at now on week 8 of 20mg , i always want instant results , when i go to the docs i kind of just think why cant you just fix me now like a car, if only it was that easy , i am at a point where i wont leave the house and even the smallest of things like a phone call or just general cleaning etc just seems like a massive struggle , i really need to bounce back and i know i will its just when?? , you and i will both see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

thanks James - do you have anxiety as well or just depression and have you been on cit before?

• Posted

well it started just as anxiety but now i think i have depression, the past week i have pretty much been in bed all the time with zero interest in anything, my guess is that it is depression too, i was on cit before and from what i remember i was feeling a lot better and stupidly stopped taking them , then boom a good few month later it came back to bite me , my doctor then put me on mirtazapine which was great for my appetite but made me soo soo groggy so went back on cit about 8 week ago but the past week like i say has been horrendous

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.