Citalopram and Omeprazole

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

Have just read about the effects omeprazole can have when taking citalopram. I am four weeks in and was feeling better about a week ago. However, had several omeprazole tablets for reflux over last week and now feel really crap again. I have now read that this can boost your serotonin level too high and cause agitation which I am certainly feeling at the moment. Does anyone have any experience of this? Or is it just another horrid blip that is taking its time to pass?

Jane x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane, I am Cit & have been for a while, I am also taking Omeprazol for a hiatus hernia & have not had any problems, so I suggest you may be having a blip, unfortunately it does happen it can take a while for everything to settle down, so perhaps try for a little longer or perhaps see the Doc, hope this helps a little.

Linda 😍

• Posted

im on emaprazole too for hiatus hernia and have been for years.. i started citalopram less than 9 weeks ago..maybe see your doctor..could be just a blip think im having one of those this week as well..

• Posted

Thanks for replies. Am actually feeling a bit better today and not so tense so maybe just a settling in blip after all. It is hard just to accept this rather rocky road. I am continually questioning what I feel, why it might be worse, is it working etc. Thanks for the support though. xx

• Posted

Hi Jane, i'm on 20mg Citalapram (just starting week 4) and omeprozole once daily. Been feeling rubbish, and wretching every morning when I wake up. Saw gp yesterday who said not to worry about the drug interactions and even suggested increasing the dose of omezprozole, as the heaving may be reflux. Just want to feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.