Citalopram and panic attacks

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am on citalopram for depression and anxiety and am currently on day 6, am i the only person that has a panic attack/really negative thoughts around 2/3 hours after taking the medication?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, no you aren't the only one. As the meds enter your blood stream they can spike and make you feel worse unfortunately. These symptoms will lessen as you continue with the tablets but it does take time. It's one of the side effects. Take care
  • Posted

Hi Lily

No its completely normal I'm afraid these meds do tend to make you feel worse better better unfortunately.

For the first 2 weeks I had all the side effects which you have mentioned. Just remember these are only side effects and when they pass which they will you will gradually feel better.

These meds are great but do take a while to get into your system.

Stick with them and you will feel better soon .

If I'm doubt post on here for reassurance that's what I did and it helped me a lot.

Debi x

• Posted

NO WAY! Liknightx3, you are a part of an all inclusive club and some of us have been here for a while or two!

What you are experiencing is all quite usual for Cita so, do not worry, try to be calm, don't over concern yerself, relax and come to terms that you need to recover. YOU are in the right place. This forum saved my life! And, I guess that is why I am still here trying to give back. We are all having "sticking plasters for the brain" and give it time and it will work.

Cita causes anxiety to be able to treat it!!! Crazy or what?! I was totally blown by that, but the angels here on this forum saved me!

All you need to do (okay try, because it is difficult) is be positive, keep reading, keep asking (not matter what) and therefore keep posting.

It takes time Lily and depending on the individual, well, that takes as long as it takes. The important ting is to stay here me dear.

We are here for you, as everyone is for me and me for them!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Give them a little more time to start working properly it took me about 3 weeks before They started to work. I've been on citalopram for 3 years now and they have worked for me . Hope this helps x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.