Citalopram and pms

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi wondered if anyone else had been prescribed these tablets for severe pms symtoms. I went to the doc yesterday as for the past year have been having violent mood swings 7/10 days before period. Was desperate for help. Couldn't go on pill as nearly 42 so she suggested these pills and Cognitive Behaviour therapy. Have never taken any form of Drug like this before and felt very spaced out yesterday. Think i'll take them at night now. Is this the right thing to do i wonder....oh bit confused!! Thanks :shock:

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I too have been prescribed these after going to the doctor with PMS problems. Having read an article in the Times the other week which said women with hormonal problems are being 'fobbed' off with anti-depressants. Now don't know whether to take or not? Doctor also doing blood tests, but admitted these are never acurate. Very concerned that I don't end up a 'zombie' as other people have described feeling 'spaced out'. Know I need to do something as am all over the place, just not sure whether these are the right thing! Also why can't you drink alcohol with them??
  • Posted

My doctor prescribed Citalopram for PMS and really bad breastpain as I have really been suffering over the last 6 months plus he advised it can also help with IBS as I have been suffering with digestive troubles aswell.

The explanation for prescribing was he thought my serontoin levels were low I was willing to give anything a shot as I have been starting to get very anxious as you do thinking something is seriously wrong.

I start taking them on Friday and altho he said I would not feel any real difference for 2 weeks I have noticed a difference already maybe just psycological??

Everyone is different what effects one person will not necessarily effect another so altho people are trying to be helpful with their experiences sometimes it better not to read them and just try things for yourself.

If it does not feel right or you get serious side effects you were not experiencing before then stop taking them you know your body and mind best.

:o)

• Posted

having read everyone else's experience about pms and citapol. I feel almost relieved that i am not some deranged individual. it has taken me almost a year to admit to the fact that the way that i feel is not normal. i too felt that my violent mood swings total change in personality almost a bit like jekyl and hyde would lead to me one day taking my own life thats how severe it got. my relationship with my husband has suffered as a result of this.

I finally went to see my doctor today and she gave me citalopram, feel quite anxious to take this, is there anyone who has experienced any beneficial outcomes with this drug helping them with their PMS.

• Posted

I have been taking citalopram for a month at 20mg a day and for the first time in years I didn't get symptoms of PMS at all. I'm usually incredibly edgy and bad-moody. Its a side effect I don't mind at all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.