Citalopram and pregnant

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, I'm 22 weeks pregnant with twins and was on citalopram 10mg for about 3 years before I became pregnant. Gp the took me off it when I was about 8 weeks. Past few weeks iv been feeling the exact same as I was before I was on the tablets. Having anxiety attacks constantly, not eating, not sleeping and generally just really low. Don't want to go anywhere or do anything. went to see my go who just told me I couldn't go back on them and that I needed to go and c a councillor. Got an appointment for over a month away. In the mean time I just feel that I'm getting worse. I feel so up and down. Went back to see a different doctor yesterday who didn't even question it but put me straight back on my tablets. I know there going to take a while to work but hope this happens soon as I can't take much more. I still feel in the back of my mind tho that I'm already a bad mother to my 2 unborn babies by putting myself first but my husband said surely me not eating and not sleeping is hurting the babies more. Is anyone else feeling like this? Please help 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HiLaura

please don't feel guilty ..I took meds in both my pregnancies and my children are fine intelligent human beings 

you have to take care of yourself

i hope the cit kicks in quickly

enjoy being pregnant !!!!!

Pat 

• Posted

Thanks so much pat. I just want 2 feel somewhat normal again and enjoy being pregnant as at the moment I'm not because im just ck scantly anxious or depressed x
  • Posted

Hi Laura. This IS a difficult one as you are expecting - twins to boot! Congratulations from the heart. I personally would be extremely cautious in taking this medication during pregnancy. The 1st GP in my opinion was correct in taking you off them. PLEASE seek further advice but not from your GPs. Are you under the hospital for your pregnancy? Please seek their advice as they are the only people who will advise you correctly re this drug. Once again congratulations. You and your babies WILL be fine. Sending you positive vibes and hugs. x
  • Posted

hey laura,

congrats on your pregnancy! sorry to hear your in a rut at the moment! i have heard that woman can take these tablets still during their pregnancy and 10mg is a small dose so it shouldnt affect your babies at all! have you had your 20 week scan? surely if something was wrong from taking cit you would have known by now.

i think the best thing for you is to stay on them if they relax you chick! nothing worse then being pregnant and anxious i was like that with my second child because i fainted so that just sent my anxiety sky high because of all the hormones.

its your body so trust your gut feeling. no one can tell you what to do but you. but if you are concerned asking another doctor might ease your mind!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.