Citalopram and propanolol

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi folks, I'm new here but have found this site very helpful . I'm 5 days in with starting citalopram 10mg for anxiety/depression. im finding the side effects to be brutal, especially fatigue, nausea, and increased anxiety.

GP has prescribed the beta blocker propanolol to help with the anxiety while getting used to citalopram. ive noticed that others gave used it as well. Is it helpful? What can i expect from it? regards

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi haydenm I'm currently on 40mg of citalopram for anxiety and depression and have also been given propranolol too. The side effects can be pretty bad when starting a new AD but should dissappear after a week or two. The propranalol for me does really help the physical side effects like fast heart rate shaking, waves of panic/adrenaline, palpitations. It doesn't stop the anxious thoughts and ruminating about stuff. Although it helps me it does makee feel a bit flat and seems to make my mood worse but everyone is different so this might not happen to you. I'm struggling bad myself atm so know how you feel so good luck and keep fighting on (some people say that propranalol can keep you awake if taken too late)

• Posted

thank you potatoghost! this is day 5 and the first day that the nausea has gotten a tiny bit better. i have tried the propanolol today and it seems to help.

you mentioned increased anxiety (i DEFINITELY have that)- is that a short term side effect also? it is a scary thing to go through and definitely worse since starting citralopram. im trying to get clarification on the distinction between 'recovery' and side effect symptoms. thx

• Posted

I'm glad the propranolol is helping. The first time I was put on citalopram the increased anxiety lasted less than a week if I remember and I started on 10mg so the side effects definitely went away pretty quick. This time round my anxiety has lasted for over 3 weeks and isn't getting any better but everyone is different so hopefully it won't last too long for you. For most people the side effects only last a couple of weeks and then goes away. The sick feeling normally goes away pretty quick too. Make sure you drink plenty of water and try and avoid any caffeine as this will deffo make the anxiety worse. Also with the propranolol it's pretty safe to adjust how much you take as long as its in reason so taking 20mg or more shouldn't be a problem if it doesn't take the edge off for you but deffo check with your gp first 😊

• Posted

Also depending what time you take your AD some people change to taking it at night so they sleep through the side effects but didn't work for me it kept me awake x

• Posted

ya i cant take it at bedtime i'm taking either, i take it mid-afternoon with food so i can get through the nausea to be able to sleep

• Posted

Have you considered asking for something to help you sleep. I was given amatriptalyn low dose to help me sleep and honestly it helped and it took the edge of the anxiety the next day. Dunno if that was in my head though lol

• Posted

No worries if u need anything else just give me a shout. I hope you start to feel better soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.