Citalopram and sedating antihistamines can cause Long QT syndrome

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've posted here before about my prescription for hyroxyzine, a sedating anti-histamine, which has enabled me to get off diazepam.  Well I had an ECG at the recomendtaion of pharmacist as a result of its potential interaction with citalopram and they discovered I had developed Long QT syndrome (look it up on Wikipedeia), a heart problem that can lead to SUDDEN DEATH!  I was taken off the hydroxyzine instantly and am regrettably now back on the diazepam.  Back to square one but less likely to die.  I will also post this as warning in the benzodiazepines group.

Hope this doesn't affect anyone else

Lizzie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, I always thought Diazepam was a short term med? as in intially I could only be on it for no longer than 2 weeks if regular intake? this is sad to hear you having a troublesome run hope resolution or good aid is found quickly for your piece of mind take care! 
    • Posted

Thansk Steve for your kind thoughts.  I was put on diazepam for both anxiety and sleep problems about 2 years ago and left on it.  When I told my GP I wanted to come off it but needed help he put me on the hydroxyzine, which has caused the QT interval problem, also taking me off the anti-histamine cetrizine. I don't know where to go next other than my local pharmacy as I need a strong anti-histamine for allergies and soemthing for anxiety.  I have reluctantly gone back on the diazepam but don't know what the future hiolds, at least I'm less likely to die!  Good that bit

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, Sorry to hear that no one deserves to struggle have you researched natural type mediciene i dont know much about it but there are other options "how good they are is the question" however worth checking maybe check with another doc second opinion could be useful? look after yourself!
    • Posted

Thansk Stevo, your support means a lot.  This is my first full day with no hydroxyzine and back up to 5mg diazepam, feeling OK at the moment but it has been a real good day in terms of the things I've done and the friends I've met and made.  I'm good at making friends and they give me much support. I like this forum too, there are some great people on here.

God Bless

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Your already on the way to better healkth having a strong attitude like that Lizzie wink everyone on here is very helpful and have good advice it helps me to help others with what worked for me! most important thing is self belief and it sounds like you have that so all the best smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.