citalopram and the heart

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have just read a report on this medication as i have just started it and i am alarmed at the fact that this med is 3 times likley to harm the heart than other meds , has any one else awre of this

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oh no I hope that's not true, I don't need anything else to worry about. I've already got pains in my chest.
    • Posted

dosages should not be given over 40mg as any higher it can cause serious defectswith the heart , 3 times greater than any other A/D look up cit and hart problems , im sure the pains in your chest are nothing but anxiety , but its worth checking with your doctor aboout long term use and your heart , im going to before i start on it
  • Posted

I just heard that myself! I'm on my first week off of it, all the side effects and aches and pains and head issues people have and how do u know its side effects or something totally different, If u have irregular heartbeat it can be a side effect! Or could it be the start of an heart attack! One person on here said she had numbness in feet and legs and some other issues and her Doc said it could have been from taking this drug. She was on it for 11 yrs I think she said. Good luck to all on this and God Bless❤️
    • Posted

The start up side effects can be bad, I struggled. They did help my anxiety last year, but I decided to come off them and ended up taking them again. It cannot be good to take them for many years, I suppose a lot of mecication may do the same? I don't plan to take them forever, I will just do what I need to do. The citalopram don't cause an irregular heart, that's the anxiety in my case.
  • Posted

I was on 60mg initially and told a few years ago to reduce to 40mg as that is the maximum recommended now because of possible effect on the heart.

That was one of the factors I decided to come off them, along with the weight gain, and the unpleasant side effects I had from being given statins made me re-evaluate the cost/benefit of taking any drugs for so long.

I had been on them over 10 years and haven't had any heart problems, it was very hard for me to reduce the dosage and come off them and I am currently having a hard time with anxiety and coping with life in general, but very reluctant to start them again.

The possible effects on the heart are related to dose and length of time taken and other factors such as genetics. If they are helpful then it is beneficial to take them for a time, but maybe not for many years. If you are worried about it then discuss with your GP and they should be able to switch to a different type of SSRI antidepressant, like fluoxetine.

• Posted

Yes I've heard this too, linked to dose above 40mg.  I've just been upped from 20 to 30 and I'm feeling awful.  It does worry me since I've been on Cit for 6 years now, have tried to come off several times.  Most recently managed to struggle through withdrawal and felt ok for 2 months but then plagued by suicidal thoughts so back on again.... Desperately waiting for counselling which has helped in the past - do other people find it almost impossible to access counselling?  MIND and Samaritans are always there but really I feel GPs increasing the dose is not the answer.
  • Posted

There will always be scaremongering stories about everything. Don't read them. All meds carry some risks I'm sure, even paracetamol, but meds taken correctly, they will heal, not harm.

If Citalooram wasn't safe, it wouldn't be on the market.

• Posted

I'm sorry but I disagree, my son was on acutane years ago and that was on the market but no longer is! Other drugs also have been removed do to the dangers, I was on Tamoxifen ( breast cancer drug) for a year, reading other people's experiences, along with my own, I went off it, same with cita. It's only a band aid for things that should be addressed the natural way, before all these brain altering drugs. While I agree they can be a life saver and feel that depression and anxiety are a real thing, but there is other ways to get help,thru therapy and finding out wat vitamins and minerals your body is in need of! Just my opinion! I was on cita. for wat it seems different than other people, my doc thought that I was depressed because I had a problem with alcohol, and being on cita. I didn't want a drink or have one, but got to the point where, is alcohol gunna control my life or am I gunna be in control, and I'm putting money on being in control of me. And it's a great feeling! Good luck in all u do!
    • Posted

I agree that just because drugs are on the market they are not necessarily 100% safe.  From my brief time on this forum I would say that none of us would choose to be taking Citalopram right now!  However, good therapy is hard to find (huge NHS waiting lists) and I personally would have gone under without chemical help.  My life circumstances cannot be changed at the moment so any help to improve my quality of life, including prescrip drugs, I will gladly take.  It is not the answer but it is another tool to help get through each day... I find studying and applying mindfulness helpful too, along with yoga - cheap and accessible.  Never give up!
    • Posted

Well, as I said, Citalopram would not be on the market if it was dangerous.  The findings referred to go back to 2012 and the maximum dose was lowered.  Of course no drug is 100% safe ..... neither is cough medicine.  There are many side effects and possible side effects connected to all medicines, which all come with a Patient Information Leaflet listing everything.

These 'brain altering drugs' are a life line for some people who have tried natural ways before finding they need them.  People take medicine for diabetes, heart problems, blood pressure, epilepsy etc etc., and depression is no different.  It's an illness, like any other, and if medication is there to help, then take it.

And there will be many scaremongering stories, many scientific ones too, but why read them?  If there's a problem, you'll know soon enough and you'll be contacted or simply find your medication is no longer available.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.