Citalopram and weight gain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Have you gained alot of weight whilst taking this? Have heard this is a big side effect

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Weight loss is just as much of a side effect with Citalopram. I researched into this ALOT when first taking it as i have always had issues with my weight. I was diagnosed with an unclassified eating disorder and have always been obsessed with not gaining a pound. I havent notices any difference in weight on these tablets and im on 40mg... I have been on them twice in my life now and neither time did i gain weight. In fact, the first time i lost it but that could have been due to stress. Although my doctor did tell me that weight LOSS is a side effect. I wouldnt worry too much, id rather feel better and gain a couple of pounds ....

xxx

• Posted

Thank you for this comment!! I have a restrictive eating disorder and was really afraid of gaining weight on Celexa.
  • Posted

Sysmptoms for 1 in 100 people include weight loss. Syptoms for 1 in 1000 people include weight gain...xxx
  • Posted

I think as with any drug you can gain or lose weight. I am concerned also but if you feel better then a few extra pounds is a small price to pay to feel better. Unless you put a lot of weight on try not to worry.Try to eat healthy and exercise if you can. 
  • Posted

Anxiety and worry reduce your weight. Citalopram reduces your anxiety and worry. Ergo you gain weight but feel better. Just be aware and take precautions.

• Posted

Hi anna 

When i was on citalopram in 2008 - i noticed no weight gain at all - think it depends on the person.

I have now been back on them for 3 weeks - so probably too soon to say this time - but if they eventually make me feel better i personally wouldnt be too concerned about my weigh - as long as i keep healthy and exercise

Take care

Susan

• Posted

I have lost weight, i'm 20yrs old, 5ft 3. And under 7stone. Its either the citalopram or anxiety and worries... either way i'm screwed. Keep being sick,, I was on 20mg but now on 30mg. The doctor i saw didnt seem at all that worried to be honest. I would rather gain weight then lose.
  • Posted

I have been off my food since I have has this anxiety so I have lost some weight and I feel hungry all the time which doesnt help as i am picking at stuff and driving my family mad.  The I go to sleep hungry and this wakes me early and it all starts again....I think the citalipram assists this problem and hope it goes soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.