citalopram and weight gain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am new to the forum but would like some advice. Having read the side effects of citalopram I was surprised to find that weight loss is not an issue but the complete reverse, I have been on 20mg for 5 months and have put on a stone and a half. I can't believe this is normal and to be fair my weight gain is outweighing the positive effects of the drug. HELP.

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi tranig1

I had this problem to weight gain but to be fair because I was feeling better I was eating a lot more

And another member on here was saying this tablet 💊 causes cravings for carbs, and it's best to void white foods . So I tried it and it works and what I've found helping me also is 3 liters of water I feel so much more energy and the brain fog from the medication isnt so intense and walking and it's coming straight back off

Not sure if any of that is helpful 😂

• Posted

Great job Marie..some one ask me what I ate on this forum..but I didn't answer that... because I don't want to seem like iam a nutritionist....lol...I'm the one that gain 40pounds on celexa...and recently lost 30 by not eating anything thats white...

• Posted

Yes Lois it was me who asked lol am really interested in your daily eating 😂 😂

If it wasn't for you I would still be eating whole cakes lol

But just a few days change and am seeing a huge difference so hopefully I can turn things around x

• Posted

Hi I’ve gained 23 llbs since being on citroplam a year ago.im struggling to shift the weight Can  you tell me what things ur eating thanks
    • Posted

This is for Marie and Louise..for breakfast two eggs any style two pieces of bacon...with decaffeinated coffee with heavy wipping cream Splenda...lunch...any meat preferably beef...with a salad any dressing...and eat as much meat until your full...dinner same as lunch... drink lots of water..eat nothing white...for salad you can add purple onions tomatoes cucumbers carrots bell peppers ..that's it...the coffee only once a day...for snack before bed you can drink some tomato juice.eat this for 12days..on the 13and 14 you cheat on the diet ..that restars the process again so you don't platoue...hope it helps because it help me thats for sure ...

• Posted

One last thing for salad only spring mix or romaine lettuce allowed...
    • Posted

Oh I see I thought you just switched to brown carbs and less carb intake

It's a bit like atkins what your doing it's a great way too

Am just descovering I may have been thirsty all my life hardly drinking any water but then started with 2 liters now up to 4 feeling a whole lot better I think u saved my bacon Lois because I was thinking why am I soooo hungry

But I think your right were in control we can change.

• Posted

With this diet you will never be hungry..I don't eat no rice no pasta no potatoes nothing with sugar...if you want to loose the weight this is it..I try others and nothing...

• Posted

Brown carbs whole wheat carbs turn to sugar...low carbs until you reach your weight goal...carbs are carbs no matter what color...
    • Posted

That is awesome. Weight gain was a huge concern for me. I gained 40lbs, on it. Another reason I got of it. Now i know om better on it, so i decided to get back on. Ive lost 8 lbs due to anxiety and start up. But im sure when the celexa kicks in, the temptation to eat is gonna come back. It's certainly encouraging to see a success story. I know giving up the sweets and white stuff will be hard.

• Posted

But in the end is good for your health..plus the diet let's you eat anything you want on the 13and 14 day..

• Posted

Hi tranig1

I had this problem to weight gain but to be fair because I was feeling better I was eating a lot more

And another member on here was saying this tablet 💊 causes cravings for carbs, and it's best to void white foods . So I tried it and it works and what I've found helping me also is 3 liters of water I feel so much more energy and the brain fog from the medication isnt so intense and walking and it's coming straight back off

Not sure if any of that is helpful 😂

• Posted

Ps welcome to the group I forgot to say lol
    • Posted

I think your right Lois a few years ago I put huge amounts of weight on and ended up with type 2 diabetes the cure was a carb controlled diet I've never had any diabetes symptoms or high sugar readings since that diet and walking. Although when I got pregnant I got gastric diabetes but within a few weeks after the birth I went back to normal sugar readings.

At the moment am slowly reducing carbs again with the aim of going back to atkins I just haven't got the time at the moment with the baby to get into full swing with meal plan and preparation I found with low carb it got boring for me so I started learning how to make a lot of carb free alternatives.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.