Citalopram and weird thoughts

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been suffering from anxiety. Since then. I have had trouble falling asleep for many months. I was prescribed with different meds but currently I have been taking citalopram 10mg for 4 days already. Before I have had problems like hearing voices just when I am about to fall asleep or see images in my thoughts. It has resolved for a couple of weeks without taking anything but still have at least 4h per day of sleep. Since I took citalopram, I noticed that I had been making conversations in my headike I was talking to a friend and replied with my own thought. And the worst part is during sleeping which disturbs me a lot. Each time I close my eyes, I see images of people or hear things which I thought to be dream? I don't know exactly what I am experiencing. It's like a dream but I am still aware of the environment. But when I am fully awake, seems normal. Please help me. Has anyone had the same experience? How long will this go or will this ever go away? O am really scared I might be hallucinating or going crazy. No bad words please. Thank you

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Citalopram does cause insomnia in the first few weeks and usually wears off in time.  The medication also causes all sorts of side effects too as well as strange dreams, and again these will wear off in time.  The Patient Information Leaflet that comes with the medication does mention hallucinations can occur with some people.  Have a read of it as it might alleviate your fears.  Also it might be a good idea to have a chat with your doctor as I'm sure he will also reassure you.

I doubt you're going crazy ..... these are a fairly tough medication and we all experience varying side effects.  They take a long time to work, but the wait is so worth it.

But do go see your doctor again if you're concerned.

If it helps, I like talking to myself lol ...... (get some stupid answers though) 😉

K

• Posted

Thank you katelogs! Can these be hallucinations? If it is, will these disappear? If ever these are hallucinations, why only when I am about to fall asleep? And when I am awake, all is normal, well except of the feeling scared. Have you had taken this drug? Any reply will be helpful.
    • Posted

Not absolutely certain if they're hallucinations, but know they can be a side effect.  Maybe check with your doctor to be on the safe side.

Yes I take Citalopram, only 5mg now.  Have taken SSRI's for 16 years.  Before that I had been ill on and off with depression and anxiety for about 15 years and took other antidepressants.  Only when I was changed to SSRI's did I recover.  They've been brilliant for me.

One strange thing I've experienced occasionally with sleep - sometimes I've worken up in the night and though I'm awake I can't move a muscle, like I'm paralysed.  Apparently it's called 'sleep paralysis' and it's the transition state between sleep and waking which you can get just before sleeping or waking up, and every muscle is completely relaxed and I can't react at all.  I just looked it up again and apparently you can get hallucinations too, not that I've had that.  I've only had this since I've been on the medication and do find it scary not being able to move.  I probably experience this about once every few years.

It could be similar to what you may be experiencing?  Look it up on the Internet, it might help.

Other than that though, have a chat with your doctor.

• Posted

I felt confused with the medications. And each time I fall asleep I see weird images in my thoughts only. And sometimes I get jerky movements. Sometimes disoriented. Will these ever go away ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.