Citalopram anxiety and panic for the second time!....need to talk

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

Just started citalopram again after being off them for 1 1/2 years! Anxiety and panic attack a came back stronger than they ever have with even slight depression. I was put on citalopram the first time after my cesarean having had pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in lungs) as a complication of having got DVT. now 3 years later, health is good but the anxiety of always thinking something is wrong wth me health wise, like I'm having a heart attack, or will develop clots again. I'm on day 5 of citalopram and am feeling dizzy, have diarreah, and just so so so tired. I just want to feel like myself again! Anyone ever gone through something similar?

Help sad

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had all your symptoms too, they will subside, give the pill 6 to 8 weeks I was told. Good luck and there's more people on here to talk to you to help you feel less anxious, you've come to a good website. Any problems, call your doctor, they may want to increase the pill for you. I did a lot of walking, it helped me through my anxiety . Good luck! Friend, Cindy
    • Posted

Oh and the health fears, I had those too, every little thing made me worry, so that's normal too. Cindy
  • Posted

Yep I experienced pretty much most if not all side effects however they subside after weeks/months. For me I was just glad to retruning to happyland and no fatique as with depresion and anxiety I had major fatique symptoms and a feeling of hopelessness where now I feel normal but have the slight side effects which dont take up too much energy so I would trade that anytime!! Keep staying positive and just look forward to the breakthru in medication thats coming your way !!
  • Posted

Thanks everyone! It helps knowing I am not alone! Just trying to cope with the feeling of being compressed in the chest all the time and the slight "ball" feeling in my throat!!! I know the pills will kick in soon.....just very tired of being tired!
    • Posted

I had the same feeling in my throat and chest. Also had palpitations, and still do occasionally. 
    • Posted

My throat got better after a few weeks, but I still have the chest pressure and palpitations usually in the late afternoon. I read that magnesium deficiency can also cause some anxiety, so I started on magnesium today. I have been on SSRI's for 6 mo. now and am ready to get all the way back to normal. I am improving every week, though.
    • Posted

Awesaome work Karen I heard the longer on Citalopram or anti-depressants the better for preventing a relapse so great news !!
  • Posted

Yes I've through similar - restarting them, that is.

I was in them for 15 years with great success and came off them 2 years ago and had a great year.  I felt the need to restart them a year ago due to the stress of family illness.  The side effects hit me harder second time round (can't say I noticed them much first time).  For a few days my anxiety was quite high, and woke one night and had to get up and paced around the room with my heart pounding.  Was very weird.

I also felt flat, nauseous, heady and just felt very unsettled.  Took a few weeks for most things to settle but the uneasiness continued for a couple of months.

I've been well again a good 6 months again now, so yes, it takes time for everything to settle.

Your anxiety may not feel worse than before, rather than as you haven't felt it for a while it just feels worse.  That's what happened to me.  It was a shock to the system again.

Your side effects will pass in time and you'll start feeling calmer and happier again.  Keep persevering - you'll get there.

K x

• Posted

Sorry for the typo's .... just spotted them.
    • Posted

Thank you! I'm looking forward to brighter days! And best of luck to you smile
  • Posted

I am sorry to here your pain m54807, unfortunately with citalprom your anxiety gets worse as the medication will still be kicking in, it takes a few weeks for it to start working in the mean time try to check on the internet for some things u can do physically your self to reduce your anxiety, mind me asking do u drink alcohol, u have come to the right site keep on posting everyone is here to help.
    • Posted

Hi Richardt,

Things seem already getting better on day 6 comparing to last week! No I do not drink alcohol! Thanks for your help!

• Posted

Good to here things are getting better, keep us informed about your experience, cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.