Citalopram & anxiety symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone!..  I have had a rough month and half so to speak.. it all started with tingly hands, hand tremor, jelly legs, panic then headache. Seen a doc and I tested high for severe anxiety and depression. rolleyes I started Citalopram for two weeks now. I hope to wake up my normal self and I just haven’t yet. How many weeks does it take to see a change? & are the symptoms I was experiencing before meds normal? Plz help! 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Candy,

Yes the symptoms before are what I was getting I call panic attacks. I’m on 10mg

Since feb 23 it was a roller coaster ride with side effects and anxiety effects. They stated to get better after 2 months and then Aug 13 they really went away altogether. Hang in there. It’s gonna get better. Cut out caffeine. I kept a journal of my experience with this and it’s helped me a lot as I look back on it now . 

What dosage are you on? 

Will😎

• Posted

Thanks so much! I started off on 10 mg then last week I bumped up to 20mg. I feel more better than being on the 10. The only change I see is me being able to get up and do small things. But that’s about it! I just pray that I wake up soon feeling none of these awful symptoms!! It’s so hard sometimes, I’ll have a good day and the next day I’m in tears thinking I’ll be like this forever lol. sad I have been keeping a diary also! 
  • Posted

I don't really, just my experience of taking them.I know because everyone is different I got them for anxiety because our son is diabetic on insulin and left home and drove. It was pointed out I was selfish and should be happy our son was independent but my anxiety went through the roof. My doctor gave me citalopram and they made me feel mega anxious all the time I couldn't sleep I watched the daylight come in every single day. I had this feeling as though I was excited all the time. I spoke to a chemist and he told me dose was too high and  eventually was given amitriptyline and the difference was enormous.  What you are experiencing is anxiety and medication can take up to six weeks to work. Do you feel more anxious than before. I couldn't take them at all and came off them myself. 

I hope you feel better taking the citalopram a lot of people take them. I think the dosage for some people could be the problem 

• Posted

Before I was pretty much In crippling depression+anxiety stage. I couldn’t even get up. I spent everyday crying. I didn’t wanna eat. But since I started taking citalopram I got my appetite back, I can get up now and do small things around the house. I don’t have the courage to go out the house just yet. I wish it could work like a magic pill over night but it’s all a process! It doesn’t make me bad anxious, but I do realize my mind is thinking way more and I have more thoughts. 
    • Posted

Hi

i feel exactly the same on Citalopram, over excited but can’t really do anything, how long and what dose were you on .... did you stop Citalopram to go a

on amitriptolene or take both

thanks 

steve

• Posted

No I stopped the citalopram I can't remember the dose but it wasn't high because my doctor knew I had low tolerance to drugs but I couldn't relax at all on citalopram day or night. After I stopped the citalopram and went on to amitriptyline the over excited feeling stopped. The amitriptyline takes a few weeks before you know a difference but it does work. Low doses I think up to 30mg or 40mg is considered low because the dose for depression is over 100mg but I was never depressed just over anvious. Citalopram made me much worse. It was the pharmacist who told me my dose was too high msybe if I had persevered on a lower dose things would have been different I don't know but I felt like that all day and couldn't get to sleep and when I did it wasn't for long. 

Does the uptight feeling stay with you all the time. 

• Posted

That’s a huge positive getting your appetite back after a week or so. 👍🏼👍🏼

Exercise is also good. Walking works great with this med, I pushed myself every day.  hopefully you will be focused more like me. It’s a great outcome from celexa. 

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply yes the anxious feelings are all the time.Like you i

have never been depressed just over thinking all the time.The worst thing is 

now I’m getting more and more physical pain which is making the anxiety worse .Im just so tired all the time.also get weird twitching and trembling I think this must be the Citalopram.Did you experience any of this?

• Posted

What dose are you on ?and for how long ?
    • Posted

Is still early days for you if your side effects continue ..drop your dosage but of you inprove stay the course.i say give it another month..hope your recovery comes sooner than later..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.