Citalopram brand change

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Not sure if anyone can relate to this, but I've been on citalopram since the end of November. Was increased to 30mg at the beginning of February.  After getting through the horrid side effects, have been great and back to normal for about 4 weeks.  However, I have just started a new pack, 3 days ago, and yesterday, started to feel the anxiety coming back again.  Have now been awake since 4 this morning feel anxious again. Now this is going to sound ridiculous, but the new pack of citalopram is a different brand.  I have heard that this can cause issues again.  Has anyone else had problems with a different brand?  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello debbie yes defo i argee with you ive been on on citalopram 5 years i had to up my dose coz of alchcol stupid me never drinking again may i add. I went up from 30mg to 40mg about 8 weeks ago after gettkng through side effects again they changed my brand and i felt after 3 4 days i was bk to square one again so went to pharmacy were i get my tablets and asked to change to the brand i was on before 4 days in now and im starting to feel abit normal again. Ive asked to have the same brand and phsrmacy said its fine coz other brands can upset things again . So if i was you ud go bk and insist u want old brand bk . Hope you feel better soon. Let me know how you get on 😊 hope this helps xxxtake care

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, thanks for your reply!  I'm sure I've spoken to you before, but there are so many of us!!

To cut a long story short, after creating a bit of a fuss at the doctors over it, they did give me a prescription for the cit brand I had before. I couldn't get it from the usual pharmacy but another one managed to get it and I picked it up yesterday. Anyway, this morning, I've woken up feeling pretty much ok, still a slight nervy tummy and shakes but nothing like panic stage I was feeling two days ago.  So I sat here thinking do I carry on on the new med, Accord, or go back to the old one which I picked up yesterday, Medreich. I decided to stick with the the Accord and see how it goes today.  Just taken it!!

i also found a helpful pharmacist yesterday who did say that she had heard of this happening and that the active ingredients have to be 100% but the inactive ingredients, fillers and coatings, can be just about anything.  She said something about the salt in them causing issues.  

So I do think that different brands can cause issues without a doubt. I've been talking to others who have had the same problems. You do wonder though whether it's all in your head but I didn't even think about it when it changed, in fact, didn't notice so it's definitely odd!

Glad you're feeling better, this is a horrid illness. Only wish I had an answer for it to be honest!!

Debbie x

• Posted

Hey alot of people say its in your head but i defo think its not i went to accord and felt awfull so switched to bristol one now 😊 xxx

• Posted

That's interesting because that's me, you and another girl I talk to that have had problems with Accord!! Am starting to feel a bit rough again so I will see what I'm like for the rest of the day and then maybe swop back tomorrow!! X

• Posted

Update, I've just discovered that I've taken two 20mgs instead of a 20mg and 10mg! I found a pack of my 20mg in with a pack of the 10mg, oops! After counting them, I've obviously taken more 20 than 10!! When I did this I've no idea but I don't suppose it helps matters 🙄. I did what wonder why I felt like I'd had an increase! What an idiot! X

• Posted

Ohh so wasn't from the brand change? You accidentally took a higher dose to cause more side effects?

How are you doing now?

• Posted

Hi Isabel.

Well I don't know to be honest!!! I have changed back to the previous brand two days ago, but still feel nervy/anxious especially on the mornings.

I can't imagine that the extra couple of doses helped as I did feel sick etc again just like when I increased a few weeks ago.  That has gone off now, just left with the nervous feeling which is the bit I hate! 

I guess time will tell. As I've now switched back, if it is the brand change, I hope it all clears very quickly. If it doesn't, it's probably a blip!  Not sure I will ever know!!

How are you now? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.