Citalopram causing poss mania?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My 19 year old daughter has been on citalopram (for anxiety and depression) for about 6 months now. initialy 10mg, then upped to 20mg, which seemed to be making a lot of difference to her. Then she became pretty low again so GP upped the dose again to 30mg, she was still very low for a few weeks, but this last week has felt great, making lots of plans fo the future, lots of energy, quite loud and exciteable, but she is also struggling to sleep, having vivid dreams, she says she doesnt feel 'normal'. feels like she is on a high, she also says she has an increased apetite for sex, which has concerned her as she had read that citalopram supresses this rathe then increase it.

She is worried it is some type pf mania (hypomania?), I wonder if maybe its just her body getting use to the new dose? she is talking about coming off them completely, which I dont think is a good idea. She says she feels that they may have never actaully made her feel better, when she was put on the inital low dose she just finished college (which she hated), and then when the dose was increased she just got a boyfriend, and she now feels maybe it wasnt the medication at all that helped her mood, but the leaving college & getting a BF. I am a little concerned. Our GP just seems to go with whatever she asks for, she asked for medication and was give it, then asked for it to be upped twice so they did.

any advice please

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've taken this medication for many, many years and it's helped me tremendously.  Every time you increase your dose you'll get side effects for a few weeks as your body adjusts.  One thing I found when taking my medication is that I'd go along feeling great then suddenly feel low.  This can happen months later, even a year or so.  This doesn't mean the meds aren't working and upping your dose, as it's just a normal pattern your body goes through.  Many have these blips, but if you're patient and just accept this is all part of recovery, it should pass.  I wouldn't be too eager to up the dose each time.  Your daughter may find she'll have these odd blips even on 30mg ...... it's normal, and will pass.

Hope that helps xxx

• Posted

Forgot to add:

Vivid dreams are a side effect, and often these will ease in time, as well as this feeling high.  Increase appetite for sex (oh I wish) ....... joking aside ;-) I've read this can happen, but yes it is usually a suppressed libido, but I believe the leaflet that comes with the meds says it can be increased.

If the medication has helped her, I'd stay on them a bit longer, but may find a lower dose is more acceptable ie the dreams.  Though I seemed to feel good after a few months when initially starting on this medication, but this all disappeared the longer I was on them.

My normal dose is 20mg.

K xx

• Posted

...... last sentence didn't read correctly.....

felt good after a few months on the meds, and the side effects disappeared the longer I was on them.

biggrin

• Posted

Thank you, its nice to hear some reassurance from someone who is on this medication. I wasnt happy for her to increase her dose, She had been extremely 'good' had a new BF (her first boyfriend), everything was great then she suddenly fely very low again, but had a few problems at work (before citalopram she couldnt even work), said she felt her meds werent working, but I was certain she could get though it and was certain the GP would say the same, but she just increased her dose, told her that 30mg is still a low dose (I thought 40 was the highest they were allowed to prescribe, so wouldnt class 30 as low!), Gp said it might be due to the time of year, summer ending, darker evenings etc. and said maybe try to go back to 20 mg in the spring!

My daugher has googled, and is now convinced that she has bi polar (type 2?) and that she shouldnt even be on citalopram, whereas I just think its the side effects of the citalopram. She has been on the increased dose for about 5 weeks now, I told her to give it a couple more weeks and see how she feels then x

• Posted

Aw bless her ...

This is a good medicine to be on, though it doesn't suit everyone.  But you do have to give it lots of time to work.  Personally I'd say at her young age and if she's felt ok-ish, then 20mg would be the dose ..... but of course I'm not a professional, just know how I've felt and see many others here take 20mg.

My 20 year old son sadly had a melt down in August so I'm in the same boat as you.  I'd taken this medication in the past and had come off it as felt better, but I restarted it as was feeling unwell due to the stress of seeing what he was going through.  Breaks my heart ...

Apparently Prozac is the 'medication' for younger people, but I've noticed my son isn't feeling any better on it so will recommend Citralopram instead when we see the doctor tomorrow (though am dreading the withdrawl and new side effects for him).  He's been unable to work since he was ill, and though he's doing more and hear him laugh sometimes, he's not as he used to be.  He met his first girlfriend this year, but splitting up was a dreadful low point for him.  Another nice young lady seems to be on the cards now smile

I don't think your daughter is bi polar, just adjusting to the medication.  Maybe keep a diary of her symptoms and moods.  This medication takes a long time to settle, and of course everyone is different.

K xx

• Posted

I would tend to agree with other posts, citalopram isn't usually the first choice for teenagers, more often than not and upping the dose may not be the best bet.  This drug does take a while to 'settle in' and bring normalcy.  It was almost six months before I realised I was reacting appropriately to events in life.  Ups and downs like she is experiencing could also be as you say related to things happening in her life, hormone changes, external forces, etc.  40mg at her age is quite a hefty dose and she may feel somewhat 'out of it' on that level.  I ended up on 20mg as a maintenance dose and that was high enough to stop manic tendencies but low enough to let me feel the real world - it's quite normal to be upset at work problems, educational stress, relationship issues etc., and she won't want to be numbed to everything in her life, just given help to cope appropriately with upsets.  Manic feelings are common with young people with anxiety and stress, it doesn't mean theyre bi-polar though.  I believe you are giving your daughter very good advice to just wait and let it settle in her system before deciding to stop/start/change etc., all of which will muck up the benefits before they have a chance to start working properly.
  • Posted

I'm not sure if this will help but I too remember when I started my 10mg and when I started my 20mg I become quite manic too, I would get so, so excited about everything!!! My house was spotless and I turned into a nymphomaniac!! Win win for my husband......It did calm down after a while but these tablets haven't suppressed my sex drive. I think (for me) it may have been because for the first time in my life I was actually enjoying everything and got a little over excited perhaps. I'm still incredibly happy and I'm very pleased with how the Citalopram has worked for me 😃
    • Posted

My wife - we are both 60 - has been on "Cit" for two months and I think it is 15mg. She has PTSD from a car accident and is likely depressed due to the wear and tear of years of having an adult daughter that is an undiagnosed narcissist (well that's a diagnosis but its not from a qualified person). 

I note my wife is fearless and tireless but also somewhat incoherent. She has all kinds of new drive to do things but they all must be done today and of course nothing can land because she is moving so fast...

she is also rather unscrupulous - spending on things she thinks are important even though there is no money.

She is rather harsh with me and others - either tuned out or seizing upon any target to criticize.

I dont think she really likes me that much and our sex life has been gone since the incident - dont know whether the medication is pushing our reunion out or pulling it closer.

I am trying to get her to focus on our finances that are being ruined by the cost of the things she does for my daughter. She is basically saying that is my problem.

Is her cavalier attitude part of getting better?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.