Citalopram-Celexa

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. New to this site and like Im seeing here, side effects coming off of celexa. Ive been on Celexa for approx 15 years and for the most part was at 20mg, down from 40mg up until I had a TBI and started to have seizures. anxiety soon followed and was up back to 40mg. Wasnt working so was told to bump up to 60mg as my seizure med, Tegretol was taking away the affects with the Celexa. I was tired of what I see alot of the same, numb feelings etc. I dropped down to 40mg 2 months ago and think Im going through severe withdrawl. Panic attacks, spacey, etc. my Phsyc has retired and Ive been on a waiting list for another for help and now Im here. Thank you for the testemonies which is a big help. Im not crazy or alone.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

TBI? My advise is stick with the 40mg for several more weeks to see if there is progress,

Hope your doing fine now

• Posted

What's a TBI?

Not sure what country you're in, but here in the UK the maximum dose is 40mg on Citalopram.  

Each dose will bring side effects, and you need to give at least a couple of months for a dose to settle in - you can't gauge what it's like in a few weeks.  People often think their meds aren't working, but it's usually because they haven't waited long enough.

When you withdraw it should be done very slowly and by a minimum dose each time.  I've dropped my dose by 5mg each time over many, many months and have had no withdrawl effects at all - I've gone from 20mg to 5mg.  Dropping from 60 to 40mg is a hell of a drop and it's no wonder you're feeling it.  If it's been 2 months like that now, I can only suggest you have to stick it out now as the withdrawal effects will ease in time.  

K x

• Posted

Traumatic brain injury (TBI). I have read that also on the dose maximum being 40mg which had me concerned as well as how it was making a difference in my life. I had gone through a long spell of depression followed by the major anxiety attacks after a low in my life back 15 years ago. The brain injury hasnt helped with that wink. My TBI was 2/3/12 and the same feelings had come back. I was surprised also on what the maximum dose at 40mg was but also am surprised by what I think I am going through right no being the withdrawls. A totally new thing to me as major feeling of dying,fear etc. A blessing to find this site and see what others with this med have shared, Very sorry to those going through this but very thankful you have shared. Im not happy with the Drs for a no warning of this but again he retired and being on a waiting list is what brought me to take this into my own hands going back to 40mg from the 60mg not expecting anything to happen. I had thought more of it being a heart attack or something from my Injury. Thank you for the advice as last night I was, should I just go back to the 60mg. I do not want that so I will take the advice.
    • Posted

Ah I see ..... sorry to hear that x

I have heard depression etc can follow a TBI.  Yes I expect you're suffering some withdrawal effects of stopping 20mg - from 60mg to 40mg.  Do check of course with your doctor that 60mg was incorrect, but do def know 40mg is max dose for Citalopram.

These meds can make you have all sorts of fears initially - it's the meds, not you, and should wear off in time.

It takes time for the meds to settle, so give it time and see how things go.

Wishing you the best xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.