Citalopram/Celexa changing my panic/anxiety attacks....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Forum Members. smile

This is my first post online reagrding my journey with Celexa. Just want to say how helpful and reassuring these forums have been for me over the last 6-8 months.

Reason for me posting is this is a thread I couldn't find anything about!

I've been on Celexa now for just over 3 months and it's been a big help getting me back into society and working. I currently take 10mg.

I'm currently at a bit of a cross roads with my meds, either considering to increase, come off or stick with the same amount.

It's based on the weird sensations I get now instead of the usual anxiety/panic attacks. Instead of the usual hot flush, feel like I'm about to faint /die (lol we've all been there) sensations, I now seem to get some heart palpitations and it's like a burning sensation in/behind my eyes. Last for a few minutes usually less than five.

Obviously the flight/fight instict kicks in right away but it kind of feels like the ceelxa then kicks in and stops this from escalating...

Sorry for the long post but thought I'd share my experience.

Would love to hear similar experiences and also advice about my cross road situation?

Thanks again and keep posting! It really helps those in a bad place when looking for reassurance in their tme of need.

Jamie

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

At times the side effects of celexa linger for a while they come and go.and is exactly like you said the celexa blocks the feelings from getting more intense..yes I experience the same..
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Lois!

Great hearing about other peoples experiences.

It really is a weird sensation but better than having a full blown attack!

Have a great day smile

Jamie

• Posted

Wow Jamie I sometimes feel like I’m starting to have a panic attack but it goes away. Have you cut caffeine out of your diet. That has helped me with those weird sensations.

Will😎

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply!

Yeah cut caffeine out a few years back used to bring it on all the time for me!

Glad to hear you're doing well Will and keep it up. smile

• Posted

Jamie I’m also on 10mg and 5 months in. I’m not coming off. I’m more focused and I can’t go through those horrific panic attacks again 
  • Posted

I'd be tempted to stick with it until you actually don't experience these symptoms any more.

It sounds like side effect....

• Posted

how long did it take for the effects to kick in when you started taking them
    • Posted

Hiya Aisha

Thanks for getting in touch.

In terms of side effects I'd say I started to not really feel the side effects after about 6 weeks.

They were pretty minimal in the fact it didn't cause my anxiety to worsen more physical stuff like headaches and feeling sick.

After the 6-8 week period I started to notice that I was having more good days and less bad days and then the bad days wouldn't last all day and then these became less and less.

Don't get me wrong I still have bad days whilst taking the medication but I can ignore the anxiety much better than previously.

In total I'd say it took about 8-9 weeks for me to see the true benefit and i've kept improving and a slow and steady pace.

How are you getting on, hope you're well!

• Posted

hi, thank you for replying smile

I am now on week 7 of citalopram and ive seen small changes, such as less frequent panic attacks

however i think its too early to be getting the full benefit yet

• Posted

Yeah absolutley!

Glad you're starting to see the changes no matter how small!

Just have to remember sometimes that it took a long time to get poorly so will take a bit of time to get better again.

I think you're doing an amazing job and just be kind to yourself. smile

For me the baby steps of just being able to get up out of bed and take a shower was a huge step. Just small things like this kept on happening and I'm now back at work and plan on taking  a 3 month holiday travelling Asia.  Something only 6 months ago seemed like a pipe dream of a person who I didn't know anymore.

Keep it going you'll get there xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.