Citalopram: Celexa Cipramil, how quick can I increase back to 60mg?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I was on 60mg of Citalopram for over 10yrs along with epilum crono for Bipolar. 

I have been feeling no drive or interest to do anything for years. I am also a hoarder with issues around not cleaning the house. 

I slowly decreased both medications over about 8 weeks to nil.  

I was actively doing more for about 2 months. I felt more alert but easily agitated and angry. I was automatically cleaning without much thought .  

The next 2 months got worse and I have become very depressed. I can’t seem to do anything. I’m just crying and going to bed. I have put my rented home at risk due to not filling in government forms and a visit due from my landlord. The house is a mess. 

I decided to go back on my medication today following a chat with my new registrar. I did want her to start me on any different antidepressant but she didn’t want that. (My New psychiatric registrar and New consultant have only met me once as I’ve moved location, they have my medical records but don’t know me at all and I’m sure haven’t read my records in any depth ) 

My registrar said go on 20mg for 4 months!! and then they’d look at increasing it again. 

I said that seems far too long to wait to increase it. She said see how I get on and get back to them if I need to. 

I have decided to go back on 40mg. 

I wanted to know if anyone would know if I could have adverse effects going straight from 0 to 40mg. 

Any ideas or advice welcome 

Thank you 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you restarting valproate as well?

If you're just taking citalopram - theres a risk it'll tip you into mania without the Epilim.

That might be why she wants you just to take 20.

• Posted

Hi ben1994, yes I’ve started 600mg of Epilum also. 

In 20+yrs of being diagnosed I may have had 1 slight manic (dysphoric) episode and that I believe was due to being over medicated. I actually think I have depression and not Bipolar. Anyway I have started epilum again. 

• Posted

Is 600mg the same dose of Epilim you were on before?

If so - I think you would be taking 40mg of Citalopram.

• Posted

“would be fine taking 40mg” is what I meant to say.
    • Posted

Thanks again. I was on 1200mg of epilum before I reduced to nil. 

I’ve been taking 40mg of Citalopram for 2 weeks now and stopped taking the epilum after a few days. 

I am out of the deep part of the depression but I’m still a bit depressed. 

I’m seeing my general dr in a week and the consultant in 2 weeks. I’ll see what they say. 

Regards 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.