Citalopram cutting down from 40mg to 20mg immediately

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on Citalopram 40mg for a couple of years but for various reason doc and I feel it's time to change (not sure what to yet). He's advised to taper my dosage down, cutting straight down to 20mg for 1 week and then go back and after that I assume a week at 10mg then off completely.  Has anyone else done this and if so how long did it take any side effects to kick in? I expected the side effects to be awful but I'm 4 days in now to the cut down to 20mg and feel fine, perhaps even clearer headed than before! I'm sure it's too good to be true and perhaps the side effects take longer to kick in? 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Don't do it you will regret it ..your body will go into withdrawal shock...take care ..that's not how you come off celexa or any ssris...keep reading on here and some one by the name of katecogs.has experience weaning off..

• Posted

Thank you! It's the advice my doctor gave me so I'm sticking with it for now but agree it seems a bit odd. however at the moment I feel fine (famous last words perhaps!)

• Posted

Oh dear ....... sadly many doctors are totally unaware of the withdrawal effects and often ill advise re withdrawal.  I don't know one person who has successfully come off meds in under a month.

Please do it slowly or you'll be very ill.  Seriously - you won't know whats hit you.  There is absolutely no way you'd be able to come off in a couple of weeks from 40mg - not only will be feel very ill but you'll be hit with dreadful anxiety and depression too as its too big a shock for the body.  These meds take many months to take effect and it works the other way too when withdrawing.

I've come these twice.  First time some years ago I reduced by halving my tablets each time and spent about 6 months maybe coming off, and had nausea, dizziness, headaches and brain zaps which lasted during withdrawal and probably a good 4-5 months after too.  It was quite a miserable time.  Sadly after a year of being meds free though I restarted meds due to the stress of family illness.

So ...... second time I withdrew I spent a year coming off 20mg by 5mg reductions (each reduction lasting 2 months each).  This way I had no side effects at all.  I finished last year.

You may not have withdrawal effects yet as sometimes they're slow to start.

Take care.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate, I am currently reducing my dose from 40 to 30mg. I am taking 40 one day and 35 the next and have been doing this for  3 weeks. Is this a good way to do it? Doctor seems to agree with it. 
    • Posted

Hi Ruth

People do sometimes alternate their doses by 5mg like that, and if its agreeing with you then it should be fine.  Its just when people jump too big a dose that it can affect them.  When I withdrew I just lowered by 5mg each time and stayed on that for 2 months before reducing again - was a smooth transition.

Alternating is a good way.  Hope its working xx. smile

• Posted

Some drugs have a longer half life than others. When I came off sertraline I was told to take normal dose for 2 days then half a dose for a week, then straight onto my next med. I then had a few little trembles about 2 weeks into my new med which last about 2 days, no nausea or headaches though.
    • Posted

Even then swapping is different than not swapping...Scott isnt swapping as far as his comment says...take care
    • Posted

Scott is swapping, he states 'doc and I feel it's time to change (not sure what to yet). '. cheers x

• Posted

What work for you might not work for Scott.. everyone's different let's pray Scott takes katecogs advise ...trust me I been there ..was the most horrible moment of my life the nasty withdrawals lasted months ...cheerios

• Posted

I've been there too, and I was't telling him how to withdraw. You state your own personal experience also, such as 'Don't do it you will regret it ..your body will go into withdrawal shock...take care ..that's not how you come off celexa or any ssris...keep reading on here and some one by the name of katecogs.has experience weaning off..'. That was what happened to YOU. But clearly you only want advice on this forum from 'Katecoggs' so pointless anyone else replying.

• Posted

Your sertraline med.has nothing to do with Scott's help with celexa...!so your swapping from sertraline has nothing to do with Scott's citalopram question..

• Posted

Thanks all. Yes I am switching to a different SSRI but not sure what yet, forgot to ask! Anyone got experience of switching, and if so did you have to taper off first like I am? Not sure if the plan is for me to come off cit completely and then start the new med to gradually introduce it once I'm on a lower dose of cit..

• Posted

P.S stop bickering...the point of forums like this is to be supportive not make digs at each other! smile everyone's experience is different. 

• Posted

No one is bickering...and in order to help you and I and everyone else on this forum we have to be specific ...other wise our experiences are relavant...peace

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.