Citalopram day 6 please help !!

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Wel here we are at day 6 of citalopram 20mg , started day one taking it at 9am , felt awful all day , took it at 11pm day three and four felt awful until mid afternoon , took it at 9pm day five and six and still feel awful until mid afternoon , and every morning I have terrible stomach pain , still feeling completely out of it and not me , feel like I'm disconnected from the world , cant think straight , can't concentrate , my typing and thinking is so slowed down I even have to re-read what I'm typing , even my movements are slowed and I'm so dizzy when moving , anybody else experiencing this ? 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am somewhere in my 3rd week, I too experienced nausea, being dizzy/light headed , spaced out etc. I take it at night because it makes me extremely drowsy. In the beginning it's rough, and I usually would have quit. But for me, the side effects were just as bad as how I was feeling before. I only stuck with it because of this forum and all the encouragement I got, as well as reassurance that it gets better. Best decision I ever made. side effects are pretty much non existent. Still makes me drowsy, but I am feeling great!! Not 100% but I finally have hope. Stick to it, don't give up.
    • Posted

But it's so strange feeling detached from myself as if I'm in a dream , I know how to do things but everything feels in the distance and difficult , almost as if I'm a child again , scary scary because I used to be able to do things with out even thinking . Now even typing seems slooooowed down and my minds in some kind of bubble , aaaahhh
  • Posted

I'm on day 11, and take my meds in the morning with breakfast.  I have similar side-effects as you Gary, but without the stomach pain.

I have the occasional dizzy spell, but I am also having some moments of happiness where I just can't help but start planning things and getting active.  I do cycle 30-40 miles every day, and this seems to help take my mind off the effects.  Whether this is encouraging my brain to keep working and offset the effects I don't know, but I don't seem to have any issues when I'm on the bike.

Keep going though, it seems most people go through this in the first few weeks.

• Posted

But it's so strange feeling detached from myself as if I'm in a dream , I know how to do things but everything feels in the distance and difficult , almost as if I'm a child again , scary scary because I used to be able to do things with out even thinking . Now even typing seems slooooowed down and my minds in some kind of bubble , aaaahhh
  • Posted

The most worrying feeling is the detached feeling / like I'm not me having to think about carrying out the simplest task and short term memory shocking , reading and taking in information seems hindered too , anxiety ? Depression ? I don't know what to think , so frustrating. Sorry to go on but it's scaring me to death!
    • Posted

I have been on citalopram for around 8 years, stupidly came off them a few times and had to start back up and all the side effects hit me and as im speaking im on my 2nd week so last week was hell, i knew what to expect but doesnt get easier.

My advice to you mate is stick with it, it does get better and i mean alot better to a point you feel like your ready to come off them but dont without doctors consent!

Times are hard at the start buddy but hang in there and ride through the storm as there is happy days at the end

• Posted

• Posted

I know the exact feeling, but with time that goes away... Citalopram makes anxiety worse at the start which is a good thing as your anxiety worsens the depression gets better then anxiety goes away! Anxiety is well known for overthinking and thinking crazy things.

I remember staring at the clouds thinking there weird things lol.

But it does ease with time, everytime i start them again i ask for a beta blocker usually propanalol which eases the anxiety side of things to a certain extent maybe worth asking your doctor about them

• Posted

This is perfectly normal when initially taking this medication.  It's your body adjusting to it and will take a while until it all settles down.  Can be a couple of weeks or wee bit longer.

Just hang on in there and treat yourself gently whilst you wait for this period to pass.

K x

• Edited

Talk to your doctor.  I had what you describe but I hung in there thinking any day I would feel better. Each day is worse than the day before.  Saw my new  dr for medicine yesterday he wont help me get off it .  Please talk to your doctor and hope he is understanding

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.