Citalopram dose tapering - currently on 30mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was started on 20mg, felt less anxious, happier, more carefree and focused but felt there was definitely room for improvement. Doc increased me to 30mg, which I have been on for a month and a half now. I'm feeling tired, sluggish, deflated, sad, finding no pleasure in anything, etc... Has anyone else had a similar experience or can advise me why I may be feeling like this?

TIA

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I did the same. I felt "drugged" on 30. I ended up back on 20. How long were you on 20 before the increase?

• Posted

It's so strange, I just can't make any sense of it. Everything is a blur, I think I was on 20mg for a little over 2 months. Or maybe a little over 3 x

• Posted

All common side effects x Anytime you change dosage, your side effects will start over. Drs are too quick to increase dosages of these meds. Not like other drugs. More is not better

• Posted

It's just so strange. The side effects began long after they did when I started on 20mg. And it seems now the insomnia/heightened anxiety has settled down I'm just sad all of the time. I can't get my head around it x

• Posted

If I were you, I'd definitrly at least taper to 20. The 30mg dose sounds too high gor you

• Posted

sorry you are going through this. agree with dubry and laura . alot of drs will give you more and more then change then more and more etc. the tired sluggish is definetly a side effect. dr upped my dose and i didnt see side effects until 4 months later. i classify side effects in three categories - start up which go away in a few months, se that you have while you take the ssri these can come on or develop at anytime, and withdrawal side effects. the faster you go up or down and the higher the dose and the longer you take the more likely you will have side effects. you have to go slow with these meds. if you do change dose do it gradual and slow. it takes a while for nervous system to register the new dose and then months for you to recover. when you introduce a new chemical in nervous system its kinda like waves on a lake they take time to calm back down up and down then settle. most drs dont know much about tapper up and tapper down correctly. if you do taper down be careful and go slow. the best way to tapper is no more than 10% per month of current dose when nervous system is stable. i advise you to research this. i can pm you the resources that i have found if you want . if you go to dr unstable with complaints most likely you will leave with med change or more prescriptions and you nervous sys cant handle all this changing in a short time frame. thats all drs know to do is change medicine. I have never felt back to myself before 6 months after a big med change by dr. when i do 10% per month i hardly notice in side effects! my dr had me come in every 3 months during start up and every 6 months after. i am currently tapering down three months so far. patience is key ! wish you luck hang in there !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.