Citalopram dry mouth and few side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello , I’ve been on citalopram 20 mg for two weeks And I have experience at first nausea , burning skin sensation Which kind of went away but the dry mouth is still lingering around and I feel kind a little weird when I’m talking specially my tongue I don’t know if that’s normal or when it will go away , Few days ago I’ve seen my doctor and he put me on 30 MG Which I’m supposed to start this weekend see how that goes but this dry mouth is been bothering me , I was just wondering how long will it take to adjust the side effects and overall the medicine to work I feel a bit better but not 100%.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Please do not increase. 2 weeks is way too early to mess with the dosage. Unreal jow docs just decide to change dosage sfter only 2 weeks smh. Your side effects should lessen as the weeks go on. Stay at 20mg and let your mind adjust as the medicine works. Tgese meds work very slowly.

• Posted

you think i should stay on 20 ? i went to see the dr after 2 weeks of taking the meds and He asked me how I was and I told him I’m so so I have some decent days and bad days and he said will increase to 30 MG and see me after two weeks and see how it is then .

• Posted

Hi,I totally agree. These medications don't work in two weeks,so how can you make a decision to increase when you don't know if 20mg is gonna work. I've taken SSRI'S for 20 years on and off and I've never known or heard of an antidepressant working in two weeks. In fact, everything worsens in the beginning of treatment for quite a while from the increase in serotonin plus side effects,so it's impossible to know. Higher doses only bring more heightened anxiety and side effects and if you reduce again you have to contend then with withdrawals. Don't know if you've taken antidepressants before,but withdrawal can be pretty bad as well. All these things have to be taken into consideration,and not after a fortnight. Even the official literature says 6-8 weeks to see improvement,but for lots of people like me it takes 12 weeks at least,maybe longer.

• Posted

this is the The first time for me taking this Medication also first time taking anything for Anxiety it’s been a roller coaster for me for the last four years I’ve been lightheaded woozy panic attacks and became almost 24 /7. Also first time seeing a psychiatrist and this is what they recommend it I’m just gonna stick with the 20 MG and go from there. Thanks guys for the input

• Edited

Yes,there seems to be a total disconnect between what I hear Dr.s and psychiatrists say,and a lot of people who takes these medications. I'm only going by my experience and what I've heard a lot of people say. From what I've seen from a couple of psychiatrists on YouTube and people's experiences with Dr.s like on these forums,the medical profession appear to want to increase these medications very quickly,within weeks. It's an interesting subject to me. What I did read in a psychiatric paper recently was that higher doses don't necessarily bring much greater results over time,but come with higher risks of side effects. A conspiracy theorist would say they're in with Big Pharma and it's money.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.