Citalopram- end of week 2/beginning of week 3 and anxiety is out of control!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,

Me again! long story short i was on 20mg for 3 month and was doing great had a blip at week 12, doctor increased me to 30mg to see if that helped, was on for 2 months and felt no benefit whatsoever, after another chat with my doctor at the review, doctor suggested going back down to 20mg as i was doing well on that and 30mg might be too high a dose. First two weeks since reducing was fine, i could feel anxiety creeping in but not too extreme but yesterday i felt anxious for hours and hours until unfortunately at night i had a severe panic attack, intrusive thoughts was at it's highest and couldn't calm down, ended up taking a diazepam to calm me down which did luckily just take the edge off, now today i am feeling the same again, very very anxious, i know it causes increased anxiety but this is awful. Has anybody been through the same around this point??

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Week 3 has been hell for me too... I do t know what it is about it, but the side effects seem to hit hard during this stage for most people. So you aren't on your own. I think regardless to what dosage you're on, everyone experiences this around this 2/3 week stage. I've literally not slept properly for 5 nights running now, the sweating at night is back, high anxiety and nausea lack of appetite. But I've taken this medication before and if I remember it was the same, eventually I felt better. Just have to persevere and be patient. I remember feeling much better around week 9, the good days eventually start outweighing the bad. You will likely feel abit wobbly now anyway for a day or two after your panic attack, so just acknowledge, accept and gently carry on and distract yourself. It will work and you will feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.