Citalopram feeling like withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just started taking Citalopram about 4 days ago. I take them at night to counteract the drowsiness. Around 3pm ill start to feel like im withdrawing from it, migraines, tired, out of it. Then at night ill suffer from insomnia. Being a stay at home mom makes it hard to deal with feeling this way, and i was wondering if its normal to feel like im withdrawing from this pill so soon?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I'm wondering if you should be taking the tablet in the mornings if you're suffering from insomnia? That might help. To be honest it didn't help me - I've been on them 2 weeks and couldn't sleep so my doc prescribed 10mg of amitriptyline to coincide to help with sleep. Perhaps speak to your gp about this?

I take 20mg of cit in the morning and 10mg of amit a couple of hours before bed.

Hope this helps x

• Posted

Hi Ticklemyheart

It takes along time for them to work.  I had the same issues as you with the insomnia and that was taking them in the morning.  I would swap to mornings to try and counteract the insomnia.  It's not withdrawal you are feeling at 3pm just side effects of starting them.  It does eventually go I promise you, I was lucky not to have major side effects.  I had the usual increased anxiety etc but the insomnia was a killer for me and it was nearly 8 weeks before my sleep came back but it's been worth it in the long run.  I'm now on month 4.

• Posted

Hi :-)

No it's not withdrawals, a lot of ppl say they experience insomnia ( I don't thank god) and they seem to take amitriptyline, you could ask your doctor about that.

I take my cit in the morning and around 5pm I get really tired and usually have a nap and I nevef have naps lol not sice I was a toddler, whenni first started taking them nearly two weeks ago now I felt high most of the time and disorientated it just the side effects,  I don't feel like that anymore and I'm ip to 20mg, well I sill feel tired in the late afternoon and sometimes even in the early afternoon.

Stick with it, cit has helped me feel a lot better and its only been a couple weeks,  don't forget they should take between 4-6 weeks to work and for the side effects to subside.

• Posted

Please please stick with it.   Most of us have side effects so bad that we think of giving up.  I have been on citalopram for  about 5 weeks.  Only just working but side effects are less often and severe.    Accept the side effects as it means the drug is getting into your system and will soon start to work.   Only ever taken mine in the morning. 
  • Posted

Hi, Citalopram can take 6-8 weeks to stabilise in your body. It's best to take early morning, i take mine about 7am and i sleep better now, thou sometimes my anxiety can keep me awake. I am on 10mg as i found that 20mg had too many side effects. I don't really like taking meds but find it takes the edge off. I would stick with it for a while if you can to give it chance to start working.
  • Posted

Thank you all for responding! I know it will take some time to get my body and mind used to it, i wont give up on it. I was trying to figer out why ill have symptoms nearly 16 hours after taking them everyday. I will try taking them the morning and see if it helps with the insomnia. I really want these to work, and so far they are! I havent been this calm in years, my depression is getting better as well. 
    • Posted

If it doesn't help with the insomnia, do ask your doctor about a small dose of amitriptyline. I take it about 2 hours before bedtime and it's changed things significantly for me. I'm now not tired everyday so while the citalopram is working I can work on getting better and fighting every day.

Amitriptyline is like cit in that it is non addictive and you just need to wean off it when ready.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.