citalopram...feeling....not there? no emotions??? help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

After dealing with poor health and lots of stressful events, I started feeling absent and just "not there" etc. Always faint. So I tried 5 mg of cit and woke up with pounding heart, dry heaving, shakes, panic, loss of appetite. Next night, the same.so I skipped a day, went to the dr., who encouraged me to try 10 mg for a week. Day one: I feel dead and zoned out.....no emotions...is this normal????

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there hope your ok considering I recently started cit 20mg now on day 7 my first day was ok that night was awful and the next three days I was like you anxiety thru the roof my gp prescribed propranolol for the anxiety, helped with the shakes and tremors! A lot of people get similar side effects they can last few weeks until the therapeutic level is reached and then your body to adjust! Stay strong plenty of advice and support on here good luck.

X

• Posted

Thank you. I just feel emotionless and no feelings......freaky. 
    • Posted

That's the depression takes over your brain! Have you considered counselling can work well along with medications will take a few weeks for them to work but just remember they will make you feel them emotions again stay strong good luck x
  • Posted

Yes, they are horrid, I took them for 3 days then stopped as the side effects so awfull. X
    • Posted

I was zonkedout, like a zombie, felt sick, no appetite and could hardly eat so got stomach pains and acid reflux, and hot sweats and grinding teeth at night and could not sleep. Was stuck in bed for 3 dayside long like sh*t! 

They are powerful drugs, anything that affects the brain is gonna have side affects, I guess balance etc is guided by the brain and these drugs unbalance the whole body. Everybody is different you will hear horror stories like mine, and wonder stories, only you know your body and if they suit you. Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi everyone

I have been on Citalopram nearly 5 months now and all these symptoms you are experiencing Bri are the unfortunate side effects from starting.  They will calm down I promise you.  I had a terrible time when starting, I was already extremely anxious, depressed and panicky but it went through the roof when I first started.  I absolutely promise you it does calm down.  These meds and all anti depressants take 6-9 weeks to work fully, the big side effects calm down within 2 weeks and it's a very gradual process from there.  

I was in a total state before, 24/7 anxiety, I was functioning but only just.  It'll calm down, have faith. If you look at my posts from the start you will see how I felt when I first took it.  I thought I'd never get there but I have!  Not only do I feel nearly 100% but no side effects and I still have normal emotions. Don't read the side effects on google etc and try not to be swayed by negative reports because we are all different. Hope this helps xx

• Posted

Yes everything Louise has said.  I've taken these for 15 years and though the side effects were dreadful to start with, I got through them and life started to pick up.  I've felt back to normal for years and took a break last year, only to restart them 13 weeks ago due to stress from family illness.  I'd forgotten how awful the side effects were!

The medication is calming you down, so that's probably why you feel emotionless.  It is weird, but it should pass.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.