Citalopram for 2 weeks now

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

I'm a 19 year old female and started university in September moving away from home, since then numerous things have happened in my life and caused me a lot of distress and made me feel very anxious.

After being to and from a doctor over my anxiety I went through 2 solid weeks of waking up in the middle of the night having severe panic attacks and an extremely low in mood.

2 weeks ago the Doctor gave me citalopram 20mg to take daily and for the first week I felt nauseous all the time and was sick a couple of times and lost all appetite and since then the panic attacks haven't been as frequent but my mood has dipped even lower.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice about these tablets and their experiences?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie,

I have only been on Cit for about 13 weeks. I remember at the beginning there was nausea and I didn't have much of an appetite but I forced myself to eat. The loss of appetite and nausea did not last too long. I was not sick but most of these symptoms are normal. It will take a while for your mood to balance out and this can bring all kinds of strange feelings. 

Hopefully some of the more experienced users of Cit will give you more encouragement and information. This is a great site for support so when you are not sure of something be sure to ask here.

• Posted

Hello Katie,  First, the Mama bear in me wants to just give you a hug, and tell you everything is going to be alright!  I am sorry you have to go through this, as this should be an enjoyable time of your life.  You will get there, despite the issues you are having now, it’s just going to take a little work and a little time.  I promise!

I am 61, and been on Cital 20 mg for 3 years, and do very well on it.  You have only been on Cital for about 2 weeks, and this is very early on.  It will take a good 5-7 weeks for this med to get into your system.  Some people say it takes a little longer, it just depends as everyone is a little different.  Between now and then, you will start to feel better, then you might feel like you have taken some steps backward...this is totally normal.  This is the med working.  You might feel your anxiety and depression, even your panic attacks feel worse, then get better as the weeks go forward, this too is normal.  I know this can be frustrating, but if you can, stick with the meds.  Once you get into the 7-8th week, you should be feeling much better, and by the 3 month, you should be feeling like yourself again.  During this time you should continue to stay in touch with your doctor.  Also, if you can you might want to keep a journal of how things are going with the meds.  If by the end of the 2nd or 3rd month you find this is just not working, then you and your doctor may want to try something else.  What works for some, may just not work for others. 

In the mean time, we are here for you.  There are a lot of really nice people on this forum, with a lot of good advice, and we have either been through, or are going through similar things, and we do not judge anyone here!  You can come on an post any time you like, that’s what we are here for!  I know I sure am happy I found this site, it has helped me a great deal!  I wish you good luck with the meds.  If there is anything you should report to the authorities, or to the school, don’t hesitate!!  This is the same thing I would tell my own child!!  Just throwing that out there...You take care of yourself Katie!  Bless you Dear!

• Posted

Hi Katie,

I experienced your symptoms and was also prescribed citalopram and at first yes rather unpleasant, I had a paradoxal type response bad anxiety then it eased after days. Once things normalised I had obvious tremors for months however sleep improved and everything got better over time it wasnt instant. I would go back on them if need be I swear by them most people I have communicated with on this site has been pro-citalopram tke care you'll be fine.

• Posted

Hey Katie,

It's normal to feel that way in the beginning.

Roughly, it takes about 4-5 weeks for you to feel benefits for your anxiety (not the full capacity, just to start feeling better) and around 6-7 weeks to feel a difference in your mood (less depressed, more positive, etc.).

I know the side effects are bad, but it's worth taking them. I'm on week 10 of 20mg and I feel fantastic. I have less anxiety than before and I'm in a much better mood.

You could also try doing physical exercise (cardio), I cycle for an hour every day. It definitely helps with the mood and anxiety after a week. Combined with the pills, it works out nicely.

You could also sign up for psychological help, many universities offer free services to students by psychology grad students (masters or phd) such as cognitive-behavioural therapy and most of the time they're good as any other psychologists.

And for some encouragement: I went through 4 years of studying science at uni while I had anxiety and wasn't treated for it. I managed to graduate with good grades on time and all. But knowing how I can improve my condition with medication, I should have taken it back then - it would have made my life easier!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.