Citalopram for Aniexty

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,  I've been struggling with aniexty for the last month. I was RX'd Citalopram 20 mg a week ago but put of taking it for the first time until last night. The drowsiness has been dreadful. I could not function at work so I came home and slept for 4 hours straight. Now, finally - 14 hours after the inital dose, I'm able to sit up and do some work, without feeling like Im going to fall asleep sitting here. It was so bad the few minutes I was at work that I had to put my head on my desk and fight to stay awake.

I've contacted my doctor about reducing to 10 mg. She is out of the office today but I'm looking for any advice from others who have expreienced the drowiness. I know I can't continue like this because I can't function.

As a side note, I do feel less aniexty today, not sure if that is because fo the drowziness or the drug, but I feel like i can concentrate more and i'm not obsessing over the situation I have been for months.

Thanks.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well it's 1:15 in the afternoon of the day after my second dose (which I lowered to 10mg from 20 mg). I had a hard time getting out of bed, but forced myself. Earlier this morning after getting up I felt shakey and someone "out of it". Now, appproximately 4.5 hours later, I ate part of a protien bar and drank a few sips of diet 7up and I'm feeling much better and almost normal other than a dulled sense of aniexty. I also have less feeling of my thoughts being focuses on issues that I have been obsessing over the last month (relationship issues). I find myself forgetting completely about that and able to focus on work. So as of right now, day 2 with a lower dose has been much more bareable. Hopefully I stay on this track and can change my dose time to the afternoon hours to eliminate the jitters and drowsiness in the am. I guess, like it's been said all many times, it takes time. I'm much more hopefully at this point than i was even 5 hours ago.

I know this is a lot of information but, I'm hoping that if anyone else out there is in my shoes, my information will help them with the struggle of starting this drug. It's scarey and I've looked at the bottle sitting on my counter for a week before finally having such a crappy day that I knew I had to start it. It not an easy process but if I keep going on the path I'm on now, I think it will be worth the adjustment period.

I should add that i'm an active person and try to walk or run at least 4 miles a day. Monday I was able to walk just under 4. It took some convincing of myself as this was the first full day on the drug. I took my second dose just before going to the fitness center and did struggle to make myself active on the treadmill. Today, my second full day I will again make sure that I get to the fitness center and I'm going to take the 3rd dose tonight a bit later, so that I might sleep past 3 in the morning.

I'm afraid of the weight gain associated with this drug. Right now I weight 154 lbs and will be very certain to watch my weight. I suspect I will drop more weight as I've been dieting and had loss of apetite due to the stress and aniexty I've had the last month. My goal weight is 150 lbs so I'm close to that and then will maintain hopefully.

Again - sorry if this seems to ramble, but I want to offer the information that I think would internest me if I were looking.

• Posted

Hi Carol....I had a dreadful head today with neck ache too so went for reflexology. I came home and slept half hour. I don't know why, but when I sleep afternoon/evening I wake up with a scare, not knowing where I am, just wanting to sleep again to close out the world. I'm supposed to increase dose tomorrow to 40. I think I might give myself some space to clear my zombie head. Otherwise, after 2 weeks, my appetite is improving, energy and motivation too. I'm lucky my sleep is normally good. We are both in early days, but I've had a year of Sertraline which did nothing for me. I'm soooo looking forward to some normality....lost my only brother, I suffered clots on my lungs and had to be resuscitated twice, then this year had pneumonia and labyrinthitis on top of pneumonia. I'm going to be 70 at end of October.....I hope I will feel ready to celebrate

• Posted

Hi carol! Glad to hear it's getting better.

One of the reasons I wanted to stop was to lose some weight. Oh I lost some weight alright through withdrawal. Really, I didn't gain weight from the celexa. I've put on a few pounds over the years from not exercising. I have to get back out there and walk. My motivation is down. Excuses, excuses. It helps lot with anxiety too!

I didn't have a problem with drowsiness. I got over the jitters pretty quick so hang in there.

I'm right back there with restarting it. I know what you're going through. I listen to relaxaxtion meditation on iTunes. Roberta Shapiro has a good one. Really, really helps a lot. Listening to it right now!!

Good luck

• Posted

Iris, so sorry to hear this. I lost my brother last year, as well. His son the year before that. I know you must be sad. Mine was my younger brother.

I hope you are feeling better and continue to heal.

Good luck with the increase. Hang in there.

• Posted

Thanks Melissa.....I had nursed him for over a year. His wife had to go into psychiatric care because of the stress. She had to be sectioned and have electric shock treatment which produced a stroke. She did become well and came home, so I flew to NZ from UK to be with my son/ family. Two weeks later my brother died, but the worst part was I couldn't get back for his funeral. I just feel I haven't had closure. I sincerely believe now that our stresses put our brains into a kind of hibernation trying to lull us down to rest

• Posted

I'm so sorry. You've been through a lot. I took care of my brother at one point too. Traumatic brain injury from an accident.

I'm glad your brothers wife is better. Stress can do so much to us.

Anxiety is terrible. I wish you peace of mind.

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my mother 2 years ago and feel that I never grieved completely and that is part of the reason I am where I am now.

Your health issues must cause a great deal of aniexty too. I hope you are know feeling better!  Here's to better days for all of us!

• Posted

Thanks for the kind words and for the tip on the meditation audios. I will definatley check those out!
    • Posted

Hi Melissa and Carol.....thanks for everything. My sister in law coped very well for about ten months but was readmitted into psychiatric care. She claimed her AD was making her too tired so stopped taking it. She also stopped taking the anti-psychotic too. She denied it, but when she started talking about the house being bugged and care workers coming in dressed as clowns and KuLluxKlan, you know she wasn't taking the meds. So sad.....she was a very well thought of head teacher, very forward thinking in education. I'm reading a book about depression on kindle where it states that you can add six lots of stress to two different people. One is very strong, motivated, works hard. The other is weak willed and lazy. This person will give up on the first task and won't suffer any stress/anxiety/depression. The strong person will battle on, but suffe the stress of it all, then depression. It's like trying to put 18 amps through a 13 amp fuse ......the fuse blows. A good analogy I think?

• Posted

Yes it is a good analogy, iris. It's just so sad what happens to people. Then you have people who seem not to stress about anything (my husband, the sanest person I know!!!!). I wish I was like him. At 64 I doubt it will ever happen. Lol. I worry about worrying!!!  

I Hope things stabilize for you. I feel a little better today now that I started back on the celexa. Hopefully, I'll continue to feel better. That withdrawal was brutal. Just can't win!!!!!!  Lol

• Posted

I took my third dose last night. 10mg at 7pm. I took it with a full glass of water and then ate about 30 mins after. I felt no side effect from it until this morning at about 6 am. I was jittery and had upset stomach. No appetite. I forced myself to eat a handful of oyster crackers and drink some sports drink. That helped with the upset stomach and I was able to shower and go to work as usual. I also had a crying jab that lasted about 10 mins. I wasn't really upset, it was just that I couldn't stop crying, but got it under control after a few minutes and was ok. Not sure that is a side effect or just emotions that still need to be manifested. I have a few hot flashes and my sleep wasn't constant although I was able to fall back asleep after waking a few times during the night. I think this is progress and another sign the med is starting to work.

I am feeling the effects of the meds. I know that I'm able to stay calm and not go off in situations that I would have previous to starting the drug. It's like i have the ability to reason my way through it. My main source of distress has been my marital relationship. I've been a complete "B" in the last month because of the situaion and it has had a very negative impact on our relationship. In the last 3 days my husband has been more willing to talk and be there for me. He tells me that he is concerned about the drug, but does not like the "mean girl" that I can be. LOL. He's right, I can be a total ass and mean. Anyway, I have been able to keep that under control and talk rather than growl.

At this point, I will continue taking the 10 mg at 7 pm each night and give it a few weeks. I'm hopeful that 10 mg will be enough for me, as the thought of the side effects of 20 mgs makes me sick. I suppose though that I could step it up in smaller doses if necessary.

It's about noon on the 3rd day of taking the med.

• Posted

I will tell you that with me the higher dose did not increase the side effects, it calmed them faster

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.