Citalopram for anxiety 10mg, week 3 advice or reassurance needed

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello everyone. I have spent much of the last three weeks reading the citalopram forums but have now plucked up the courage to post. I have had anxiety now for nearly 20 years. I have tried nearly all the talking therapies doing my best to avoid medication. My anxiety began to really take hold and day to day life left me exhausted with constant headaches over constant ruminating and fear, mainly around social situations. I was beginning to feel very physical effects from being anxious all the time. My doctor prescribed me 10mg citalopram which I started (nervously) taking 3 weeks ago. I have felt very very foggy, dizzy, nauseous and have very heightened anxiety. In a nutshell I feel overall worse than I did before. I am carrying on with work but feel so tired out it's hard. will i ever feel some relief? I am not as tearful which is one thing but still feel incredibly overwhelmed and anxious. Thank you to you all in advance. very grateful to be able to read herr and have a place to ask!

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Jemima. I know exactly what you're going through having suffered with social and general anxiety for many many years. It's right that you have turned to medication to help you after trying everything to help yourself. Some of us need meds to get us out of that constant cycle of worry that affects us so badly. Unfortunately in the beginning of that journey of recovery,things will get worse and that can be really hard to endure. You know you're not on your own in this as everyone who starts these meds will be in the same situation. It seems from what you say that you were pretty bad before starting,so that makes getting worse all the harder to take. I've been in that position many times as I've taken all the SSRI's over the years,and am currently taking another, Fluvoxamine,and am in the process of getting used to that myself. Also going to work while having to go through it is especially difficult. Maybe you could take some time off? Try to see these adverse effects as your mind healing, and look ahead to the future when things have improved however long it takes. 10mg is a very low dose,and it could be you need to go to 20mg at some point. Don't leave it too long if you think you need to increase to 20mg,but then give 20mg plenty of time to work,months normally. Take care.

• Edited

Thank you so much for your understanding, I think I need to give it a couple more weeks and will contact GP re dose if need be. I'll stick with it for now. I was quite bad tbh and just pushed through everything. Not sustainable and clearly reached a point that couldn't carry on. I'm relatively new in my job so feel its not ideal to take time off, probably putting more pressure on myself there! thank you so much for your kind reply. It's largely adjusting expectations and realising it will be a slower road to feeling better. thank you

• Edited

Hi Jemima

Agree with Ian - the first weeks can be quite tough, as the medicine increases anxiety at first.

Anxiety is self perpetuating and we get stuck in a cycle of anxiety / fear of anxiety and symptoms / anxiety - each feeding each other and it becoming a habit.

The medicine will help to correct this as it calms the body, hangs onto your Serotonin (feel good neurotransmitters) and in turn the anxiety will start to calm and all its symptoms too. It can take a long time to feel recovered (it took me 6 months after being ill for 15 years), and during recovery you’ll be very up and down. Just persevere - its worth it.

Many people avoid medication for anxiety - maybe they feel there’s a stigma? I always say, would you avoid medication for blood pressure, diabetes, epilepsy …… I doubt it, and as people need that sort of medication then some people need anxiety medication. You can’t help being ill and these meds are specifically made for this type of condition.

You can also recover without meds - using the acceptance method. It works on the body the same as the meds would do - I used both the method and meds.

Anxiety is a physical condition and often the result of stress. Stress causes adrenaline to surge through the body, protecting us from danger, but too much can start to have an effect on the body as it can’t sustain being in a heightened mode constantly. Eventually the adrenaline will reach a point and will flood the body, which we feel as anxiety or panic.

Once this starts the sufferer begins to overthink, avoid, tries to fix themselves, suppress …… and all this does is cause more anxiety and we get stuck in a cycle. Anxiety causes many side effects too which cause alarm to the sufferer and they begin to fear them too.

Talking therapies are good, but often they give you tools to help you manage the problem, not the path out of it. If they don't explain the anxiety condition or address why you're stuck, then you'll continue to stay stuck despite the tools they offer.

Also many people don't give meds enough time and hop from meds to meds in the quest to find the quick cure - you cannot fix this in an instant, you take anxiety with you as you recover and trying to hurry the process will just cause you frustration.

I’ll pm you as I can’t post links here for you.

But do persevere on the meds.

K

• Edited

Thank you so much. I will persevere and thank you for your reassurance and understanding. I think I need to adjust and be patient and realise it will be a longer slower road to feeling better. I think I was expecting to feel some quicker relief. Thank you for sending links too. very grateful yo

• Posted

Its hard being patient - nobody wants to feel these feelings for a second in their day, but unfortunately patience is what we need to find in order to recover.

Everyone expects to feel recovered in a matter of weeks - as thats how other types of meds work. Sadly these meds don’t work like other meds and will take a very long time. 6-9 months might seem a long time but it gets better as time moves on, and I found after being for 15 years then the 6 months recovery was a small timescale.

You'll get there x

• Posted

hi kate i am new to this forum and am currently on day 17 of 10mg citalopram for anxiety, i was on them last year after losing my mum but came off them in march this year and after a few more stressful things the anxiety started up again with a vengeance! i did keep a journal of my experience from last year and reading it back s terrifying, one thing that does seem different is as soon as i take the pill it is only about 15 mins before i can feel it having an effect, the jitteryness and the weird feelings in my head so strange but also the anxiety is heightened so much its making it impossible to function, just wondered if this is normal, i also take propanalol to take with the Cit to take away the jitters but i can honestly say it seems to add to the anxiety, struggling badly as i wasnt depressed before but since taking these the feelings i have are awful like a dark awful cloud and cold dread feeling in the head that is the only way to describe it. they did work last time just seems more of a struggle this time. i honestly wanted to check myself into a mental hospital i thought i was going insane. any tips, help would be appreciated ..Nikki xx

• Edited

Hi Nikki

Sorry about your mum - I know how that feels x - glad the meds were able to help you through this difficult time.

Yes anxiety usually starts from a stressful period - stress causes adrenaline to build up in our body which is normal as it warns us of danger, but too much and it has an effect and is felt as anxiety.

The medicine does heighten anxiety at first (this does settle down) so that’s why we feel worse in the first few weeks. This is because the meds start to hang onto our Serotonin and our body takes a while to adjust to this.

Anxiety can manifest itself in many ways and the few times I’ve experienced it its been different each time. So whatever you’re feeling just put it down to anxiety and try not to get too het up over each symptom - don't separate the symptoms. Its just anxiety playing out.

I found the second time I took meds it took longer for them to work, so don’t be disheartened and stick with it because they should help again. It can take many months before you start feeling the benefit.

Anxiety sufferers make the mistake of trying to fix themselves now / in an instant / stop the anxiety / recover quick - but you can’t, as anxiety needs time to slowly ease off, and if you try fixing it then it makes it worse.

Even as they recover they still go about looking for instant relief - this just will not happen, and we have to be so patient and wait. During recovery you will also take anxiety with you on your journey though over months it will slowly ease off.

What you're feeling at the moment is normal.

I’ll pm you.

• Edited

thanks Katie very much appreciated, tbing that gets me down the most is the racing/thudding heart and the weird sensations in my head like a tightening for better way to describe it, obviously i know it must be the medication was just hoping the side effects would have lessened by now but seem to get worse as the days go on! anyway i hope you are well xx nikki

• Edited

Hi Nikki and Kate..

reading the forums have been really helpful...

Nikki your not on your own hun.. I've been on 20mg of citalopram for 9 years and truly helped me haven't had much anxiety at all.. Over the last 4 years I lost both parents 18 months apart and then my 9 year old daughter had a brain tumor removed may this year! So these events have made my anxiety go through the roof!... went to the doctors and they upped me to 30mg but still feeling anxious.. went back and now I'm week 6 on 40 mg... I'm the said just feel like I'm going backward.. Kate your posts have been really encouraging and wished I had read them before upping to 40mg!

I'm not sure whether to stick with the 40mg or go back down to 30mg?

I had a good week ish last week but started with low mood this week. I'm normally such a bubbly person but feel I've lost me mojo and like you said Nikki weird feelings etc xxxx

it's lovely to know we all going through the same together but hopefully we get the benefits later down the line xxxxx

• Edited

Hi Nicola

Racing / thudding heart and weird sensations are side effects of anxiety - and of course because the meds heighten anxiety that’s probably why you’ve become aware of them.

Try not to get fixated on them - its just anxiety, and they’ll calm down as anxiety calms.

• Edited

Hi Claire

Yes I took 20mg for many years - helped me recover. Am so sorry to hear of your parents and daughter too. I lost both my parents weeks apart too so know what a trauma that feels.

Recovery is up and down whatever dose you take. You do need to stick with a dose for a good few months before you can tell if it suits you. If you decrease you may still feel the same for a while - it takes time for your body to catch up.

When you recover you’ll have good days, bad days, good and bad weeks too so even though you have a bad time it doesn’t mean you’ve gone backwards - it actually means you’re progressing.

Aixety makes you feel weird because it demands all your focus, and that inward concentration makes us feel detached.

Try and just let all feelings come and go and don’t question them or analyse them. The constant head chatter / inner dialogue just keep the anxiety cycling. Leave be, know you’re recovering and let all thoughts and feelings pass by like clouds do. Head chat keeps them hanging around. Let go, let the feelings be there and go with it. They will pass.

• Edited

Hi Kate..

Thank you so much for taking the time to message me honestly I've seen you take the time to message alot of users and that show what a lovely person you are to give everyone your experiences x Yes I do need to try and not connect with the anxiety but I it's hard.. I've read a few books and they have helped a little... I haven't had much anxiety last day or to but found low mood has taken over!

But like you said I'll continue on the 40 mg and let it take its course and hopefully I'll start seeing results.. xxx

again thank you for the reassurance Kate it's much appreciated!

I seen you have advised other on a book you found useful would it be possible to have the details xx

• Posted

Aww thanks ❤️

It is hard not to engage with anxiety, especially at first because our mind will automatically want to revert back to its habit, but it really does get easier the more practiced.

I’ll pm you re the book as can’t post here.

• Posted

hi claire how are you feeling and so sorry about your parents and your daughter, i hope your daughter is recovering! citalopram worked for me last year 20mg after losing my mum and felt alot better after day 8 had bad days but at least i had some relief however this time i have had to stop was only on 10mg citalopram but honestly i wanted them to out me in a mental hospital i thought i was losing my mind i must have had every side effect going but it was the increased anxiety and awful depression i couldnt handle anymore! i do need to be on something as my anxiety is just awful so doc is going to try something else when these citalopram are out my system on day 6 of not taking anything but having withdrawals which doc said i wouldnt have as only been on them a short time but he was wrong, no sleep at all and waking up after like 5 mins in a panic bloody awful...i hope you start to feel well soon...nikki x ps these forums are a godsend really are

• Posted

Hi Nikki how you feeling today?

Omg hun I've been feeling the same it's horrible! I had anxiety when I was 20 and got over it but it's come back 18 years down the line more than like because what I've been through in the last 4 years!

I've been on 40mg now for 8 weeks I've had a good few day but felt low mood today but I'm hoping they starting to work slowly... at first I honestly felt worse what I did before upping them!

you will be ok hun once you find the right meds you be on the right road! this forum like you said has been amazing support because we're all going through the same!

if you need to talk or anything we are all here to support eachother!

xxxxxx Claire xxxx

• Posted

hi claire-

how long did the increase in side effects, feeling worse last for you? i increased to 20mgs 2 weeks ago and am feeling like the anxiety is so bad- especially in the mornings. im hoping its just the side effect of the increase and it gets better over the next few weeks.

thank you!

• Edited

Hi Ann well from what I've learned it can take a good few months go see a real difference.. I was thinking about going back to 20mg but was advised to keep with the 40mg for a good few months to see any improvements.. I've felt latelylike I'm going backward but apparently this is normal the first few months! but like you I'm feeling worse than I was on the 20 mg.. but Katecogs who give really good advise on citalopram said its normal to have increased symptoms!

hope this helps Ann xxx

• Edited

hi ann how are you? how long were you on 10 before you increased? i increased to 20 5 weeks ago had couple of good weeks then a terrible week feel i am back the start of treatment again so frustrating. leigh

• Posted

hi there-

i was at 10 for 7 weeks

my issue is that now im getting pretty debilitating depression as well so im hoping with the increase to 20 it starts working on tgat as well.

the fact that you had 3 good weeks is very promising- just keep those in mind as you are going through the current week.

feel free to check in

• Posted

thank you for your reply.

do you have ant depressive symptoms or just the anxiety?

im actually hoping my doctor increases me to 30mg at next appointment. this morning i was feeling so awful i just wanted to stop all the medicines all together but realize that would just make things worse.

keep going- rooting for you!

• Posted

Morning Ann, well my anxiety went through the roof and I was experiencing low mood which I didn't have before upping to 40mg! so I don't know if upping to 40mg has given me low mood side effects?

have you experienced this? xx

• Posted

Hi Claire,Increasing serotonin by taking or increasing an antidepressant will bring heightened anxiety and depression. When suffering from anxiety, depression will be an underlying condition caused by the constant prolonged stress of trying to cope with the horrible symptoms of anxiety. Anxiety is exhausting and depressing. So it is possible to get phases of worsening anxiety,then worsening depression. As your brain goes through the phases of recovery from raising serotonin, you will experience this for quite a while until very slowly little things improve. Look at it this way. If you had a physical injury or serious condition, you wouldn't expect to heal in a week or weeks,you would accept that it was going to take a long time. If you take the broken leg analogy,if your leg was seriously broken and the plastercast was the antidepressant, then you would accept that it was going to take time,that your leg would be throbbing with pain sometimes,and sometimes it wouldn't. Even after the plastercast comes off you're leg is still not 100% and would still be sore and limping. You wouldn't expect to be back jogging straight afterwards! All in all would take many months. Because it's our brains/mind,it understandably frightens us and we want to be well immediately. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Take care.

• Posted

Thank you so much Alan for the information that really helps me understand why I'm having low mood! which is not what I had before upping to 40mg x would you say for me to stick to the 40 mg I'm currently on week 9.. or consider dropping to 30mg as I didn't give that dose chance to work? xx

• Posted

in my opinion,and it's only from my experience,that with Citalopram you go up in 10mg increments,then give that plenty of time to work. You will have heightened anxiety and maybe some depression every time you increase serotonin caused by the increase in the antidepressant. You won't know if the increase is sufficient enough until all the heightened anxiety settles down,which for me is at least 12 weeks. Everyone is different. It is a very difficult decision to make because you already have bad anxiety,then the medication makes it worse,so how do we know if it's working. The answer as I said for me personally is time. months. The higher you increase the antidepressant,the higher the serotonin,the more the heightened anxiety.,that's my experience. Going back down to 30mg after 9 weeks on 40mg will cause withdrawals which brings its own problems. That could be bad or not so bad,depends on your system. It's hard to give advice because everyone responds differently to these medications.

It's got to be your decision at the end of the day. How long were you on 30mg?

• Posted

thank you Ian I think I will ride it out till I hopefully see some improvements like I am having good days between the bad so I would of thought that's a good sign x I was on 30mg for 5 week the he upped it then.. but if I had read these forum I would have given it more time to work.. xx

• Posted

Hi Claire,Dr.s are quick to increase dosages rather than tell their patients to give it more time. I don't understand that myself,wether they feel under pressure from the patient to do it or what. 5 weeks is not long on a dose when the literature usually say 6-8 weeks to see improvement and I think it should be a lot longer for anxiety. Depression is different. Anxiety is a lot harder to improve. I've always found my depression has lifted,yet the anxiety still persists and for that reason they say higher doses are needed so maybe that's why. It's all a minefield. Hope you improve on 40mg.

• Posted

hey nicola,

how did the 10 mg work out for you?

im on 10 as well and feel weird in my head too, kinda out of it. its been 8 weeks and really dont want to go up and experience more of this.

• Posted

Hi there i know this is an old post but i have followed a lot if your posts Katie you are brilliant at explaining things. I have been on Citalopram 25mg for 6 weeks so i know i need to give it more time before i feel a difference. Can i ask whether you fully recovered the first time purely through medication alone only i know you mention the acceptance method did you use that later on ? Jenny

• Posted

Hi Jenny

Yes I first recovered purely by medicine alone, before I understood acceptance. I knew about acceptance, read so much about it, was beginning to understand the workings of it, but I didn’t understand how to apply it. That would come many years later.

Medicine is absolutely brilliant, but I absolutely swear by equipping yourself with the knowledge of anxiety. People shy away from it fearing it will make them worse, but it is the best path you can take as it explains why you’re anxious, the path that led you there and shows you the path out. This knowledge stops you floundering around searching for answers - all those questions you can’t answer and which will keep you stuck in the anxiety cycle.

Yes the medicine can alone help you to recover - however some people can slip back into anxiety once they stop taking the medicine IF they don’t understand anxiety, because once any sign of it appears they’ll fall back down the same rabbit hole again with all the same questions.

• Posted

hi

I have suffered with anxiety for 20 years. I have been on citalopram a while. I have increased and lowered my dose a few times. This time has been different. I started a blip I increased to 25mg for 10 weeks with no improvement to my anxiety and this time causing sleep issues. I increased to 30mg 11 days ago and really not great. constant anxiety and increase in panic attacks. citalopram has worked before but not sure this time. I think I need to explore what anxiety is. I still think I have a health issue not anxiety. it's awful how anxiety makes you believe it. xx

• Posted

Thanks for replying Katie much appreciated i will keep going with the meds i havent noticed any improvement yet but i know its early days .... Ive suffered for years like you have im anxious about being anxious it horrible but i will wait for the light at the end of the tunnel .... Jenny

• Edited

Hi Jenny

Anxiety is horrible, and yes you do get anxious about being anxious. The meds will help - in time though. Just keep going on them.

• Posted

hi kate

I have been reading the anxiety blog. it is really interesting. I have suffered with anxiety since being 16. so 21 years. I have been on citalopram for around 18 years. I have had to increase and lower over the years when I have had increased anxiety. this time I increased to 25mg 12 weeks ago and didn't help so increased to 30mg 2 weeks ago. I am beginning to sleep again. I am wondering if you could help with tips on how to relax towards anxiety,? thank you xx

• Edited

Collette

Have you ever felt completely recovered on Citalopram?

Returning meds can take time - I had a different experience both times I took the meds, and the second time it took longer.

But yes do read that blog and the book too - understanding anxiety actually helps with healing.

Relaxing towards anxiety - that’s a difficult one.

So when we have anxiety we fight it and try and control it, stop it. But that just makes it worse. You can’t just stop anxiety dead - it takes time, and for the time being you have to let it walk beside you as you apply Acceptance.

Acceptance isn’t a tool to help you feel relief, but its a method of ‘ignorning’ the symptoms (or letting them be there without too much interference) which in turn will go away in time. Relaxing towards anxiety won’t bring about relief and again its another way of trying to control it.

Head chatter is another thing to learn about - this just keeps the anxiety condition recycling, so instead just allow those thoughts to come and don’t engage with them (don’t get into a conversation). Its hard, and the thoughts will keep coming as you’re so focussed on yourself and how you feel, but with practice it gets easier.

But do read the blog and the book, and I’d recommend joining the Facebook group I suggested as it follows Acceptance.

It doesn’t matter how long you’ve had anxiety you can recover from it.

• Posted

Collette

I've replied to you via messaging as my post isn't allowed on the forum.

• Posted

@katecogs Hi Kate, sorry my last message didn't go through to you properly, just a few lines for some reason, i have wrote to you again, THANK YOU !!

• Posted

Hi Katecogs

Your posts are so helpful - I am nearly 6 months on my journey and trying to learn to accept and allow the head thoughts that circulate in my head constantly -Could share the link on the book please you found helpful?

I was on cit for 10 years then stopped in May/June (tappered) but he anxiety has really hit me so hard this time, ive never experienced anything like it, reading success stories like yours gives me hope so thank you!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.