Citalopram for Anxiety and Amitriptyline for Headaches

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am looking for some assistance in regards to the medication I was recently prescribed. I have been using Cipralex (20mg daily) over the last few years to help with my anxiety.

In the last month I started to get bad headaches and was prescribed Amitriptyline (25mg daily) by my GP and a well renowned neurologist in my country. Because Cipralex has worked well for me and kept my anxiety in check I am always scared of going on something that could interact with Cipralex and make my anxiety worse.

I have also read online that the 2 mixed together could cause some side effects so naturally I am a little concerned.

I dont really know how to go about doing this but I am looking for advice or reassurance about taking the 2 together and whether or not mixing the 2 has been known to make anxiety worse.

Any advice that can be provided would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The person to ask is the Pharmacist. They are the experts on drugs regarding composition, uses, side effects and contra-indications. People that take the drugs can only tell you how they reacted to them. Whether they worked well and any side effects that they experienced. Your Pharmacist will advise on whether or not taking one drug with another is contra-indicated.

• Posted

I take Amitriyptyline with Citalopram although the former is not been used as an Antidepressant it is being used for nerve pain. You mention headaches, do you know the reason for them. or are you suffering something like nerve damage in spine legs etc ?

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.