Citalopram for five years

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've now been on citalopram for five years and all has been great apart from initial side effects, but have recently been struggling with anxiety and depression , iam on 20mg and was wondering if I need to up the dosage? Has anyone had this problem?

Ray

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ray, 

after being on it for a while it's confusing when symptoms come back. It could be that you are experiencing stressful conditions at the moment. I have been through the same and when I had problems in my life I had to up the dose, believe me it put me back on balance. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Good luck x 

• Posted

Hi Ray,

I have been on 20mg for about the same time as you. I had also been feeling depressed and lack of motivation probably due to being in pain alot. I spoke to my GP and asked if I could up my dose and I am three weeks on and starting to feel a little better. Speak to your GP and ask if you can do the same if they feel it's right for you

Good luck

• Posted

Drugs can poop out after years of use, u could try upping the dose, or maybe time to switch over to something new, or add a new Med in combination. Guess it's up to you n ur doc! Best wishes!
  • Posted

Mmm ..... It could be something has happened recently to make you feel like that maybe?  Anything you can think of?  For me, if I don't get my sleep it can start to make me feel low.

Ive taken Citalopram for 15 years and never had a problem (other than sleep or some other incident that unseats me a little) ..... but that's not say it doesn't happen with others as we're all different.

How long have you been struggling?

Sometimes people notice a change when their brand of meds is changed.  It shouldn't make a difference, but it does seems to with some.  Though some ingredients can be different (outer shell), the active ingredients remain the same.

See if you can think of anything that could have affected you, and if nothing comes to mind then go see your doctor.

K x

• Posted

Hi k

thinkin about it we lost my partners nan not to long ago, and our beloved pet beagle in April , have only just joined this site it is so nice to know I am not alone and the comments are so nice and constructive,

Many thanx Ray x

• Posted

It's definitely nice to have some sweet understanding people to talk to about what we are all going thru at the same time. Glad I found this forum. Many thanks to everyone here! Hope everyone has the best weekend they can possibly have! Cheers
    • Posted

It could well be that - sometimes things happen and we cope with them at the time, and sometimes unbeknown to us it upsets our rhythm, only to come out later, sometimes months later and drag you down for a while.

Sometimes simply understanding what's happening to you can start to help bring you back up again ... it takes the mystery out of this illness.

This could just be a blip, and it may be that if you wait it out, try to stay as calm as you can going about about your everyday chores, try not to fight it, understand it will go, take some exercise, eat and sleep well, you may find in time it'll lift again - as it did when you first started the meds.

K x

• Posted

ps ..... forgot to say so sorry to hear of your losses x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.