Citalopram for health anxiety??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone on here has ever took citalopram for health anxiety. Did it help you??? I still don't believe my symptoms are all down to anxiety (dizziness, headaches, chest pain, shortness of breath sometimes, ringin in my ears) but as it's getting worse and my doctor thinks it's all in my head I'm gonna try citalopram to see if my symptoms are down to anxeity and depression. I've took citalopram before for depresion but I've never felt like this before. I have had major anxiety and depression before when I lost my first son (stillborn) but never had physical symptoms like these. Life is in tatters at the moment so willing to try anything. Starting to wonder what 'normal' actually felt like. I don't know if I'm just being hypersensitive to every ache, pain, twinge in my body and wondering if I always had this buzzing in my ears but just never listened to it before. Feel so strange and can't get any answers for it sad 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I feel exactly the same as you (physical symptoms). I feel really Ill all day everyday and just seems to be getting worse and worse. I've had all tests at the doctors (blood tests, ECG) and they say everything is fine and I have health anxiety. I too have been prescribed citalopram but I'm too scared to take it because of the side effects. Also I've read it can cause heart problems - this has really scared me and I feel it will just add to the worrying. Sorry I can't help, just thought I would tell you i am feeling exactly the same. Hope you feel better soon x 
    • Posted

It's horrible isn't it charlotte I'm so sick of it. I haven't had bloods and ECG etc coz my doc just puts it down to anxiety which makes me anxious coz I don't believe him. He just thinks im a crazy hypochondriac (maybe I am). I really hope you feel better soon too ....I've took citalopram before and even a low dose like 10mg can help you know maybe you should give it a try. In my experience it makes you a bit dizzy for the first few days (but were dizzy anyway so you might not notice it much more) and it makes you yawn loads which is strange x
  • Posted

It really is horrible and no one seems to understand! I have 2 young boys and I'm finding it very hard to look after them with how I'm feeling. I've been prescribed 20mg, took the 1st one yesterday and it made me feel awful so I'm scared of taking another x
    • Posted

Same here ...I've got a 16 month old and sometimes I just end up in tears because it's so hard to try and be a good mum whilst feeling like this along with feeling so alone because it's like nobody understands. I felt the same when I took 20mg before. It soon passed but I too felt like stopping them. I've got 20mg tablets but I've halved them and took the first one today. No extra symptoms so far so fingers crossed x
    • Posted

Oh it really is hard. Just a vicious circle. Oh maybe I should try halving them 1st then. Definitely need to do something cos I can't go on like this x
  • Posted

Hi Nicola I'm so sorry you feel like this there is nothing worse😞 I too suffer with very bad anxiety and hypachondria and I'm only 17, I got it from googling every single ache and pain I had, don't know how many times I've been to hospital and doctors and I'm perfectly fine! I have the exact same symptoms as you! Lightheadedness headaches pressure feeling off balance on a daily basis! It's so irritating but trust me you are fine! I've started to accept the fact that I'm my own worst enemy and I'm basically bullying myself into all this! Stress that our body most certainly doesn't need! Trust me your fine and it is anxiety it's just your mind playing tricks on you xx
  • Posted

Hi Nicola,

Sorry to hear of your anxiety. Im going through a similar thing, convinced ive got health issues, jaw clenching, wrist numbness, tittinus (ringing in ears). Keep going docs and they just say anxiety, ecgs and blood tests all ok lol. Theyve given me a pescription for anti depressants but ive decided to try therapy first, maybe an option for you too as Ive heard good things, the doctor can point you in the right direction if you choose this route. Hope you make a recovery asap,

Ben

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.