Citalopram for intracranial hypotension

Posted , 7 users are following.

Today is Day 13. This has been a real struggle for me. I initially started w/10mg for 5 days had sweats insomnia and leg tremors. Dr reduced it for 5 days to 5mg. Much better went back to 10mg. Still not sleeping I wake up after 3-3:45 min each night. I do breathing and meditation and still not sleeping. I tried Benadryl and it worked but the next day was horrible with anxiety and fatigue. My dr reduced me now to 5mg again and to come off of it. I’m thinking that I should speak with him to stay on it. My headaches disappeared and no tremors or jitters. My panic attacks subsided. I’ve seen from posts it takes several weeks to work. Does the insomnia ever go away or any ideas to help me get sleep. I work FT and it’s a real challenge without sleep. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Do you take it at night will? 
    • Posted

I would ask the doc for something to help you relax and sleep just till you get used to it.   
    • Posted

I agree with everyone else ask DR for a benzo to help you sleep just for next few weeks, Makes such a difference
    • Posted

I don't understand why folks want to suffer..instead of getting help with a benzo or a sleeping aid from doctor... every one is scare of addiction..is called dependency...not addiction.. addiction is when you go to a near by corner and buy crap that's illegal to swallow..that's addiction..now a day's doctor's monitor the situation so precise that no one can get addicted if doctor's don't prescribed...for crying out loud..

• Posted

It’s just frustrating when I asked my dr for a sleeping aid and he suggested I drop to 5 mg for 5 days and come off. I called him yesterday and haven’t heard back yet. Frustrating....
    • Posted

Louis, I don't think anyone wants to suffer. Not everyone wants to take a sleep aid. For instance, I have young kids that depend on me to be aware and alert early in the morning. Sleep aid made me very groggy. I opted for a nap later instead to make up for my poor sleep. It's all a personal preference and what would work best for you. Because addiction/dependency is such a major issue these days, there are a lot of Drs that don't feel comfortable writing a script for Benzo. Rightfully so, there was a lot of scripts written irresponsibly up until now. Not everyone with an addiction was buying them illegally on the street.

• Posted

Lois, not Louis. Stupid auto correct.
  • Posted

it all depends on u lots of us in this forum has gone past most side affects i m on beginning of week 6 and just littel bit better but look same thing my dr wan it to take me off it after 2 weeks and there is us thinkin dr know best but everyone here knows that this meds dont work straight away it can take up to 8 weeks.. hope u get better
  • Posted

Sleep is elusive for me without a sleep aid until they kick in properly, but the good news is it does return to normal and with that the tiredness goes. It's best to stick with them 13 days is early.

• Posted

Don't give up ! I'm on week 6 on 20mg Cit. Previously was on sertaline for 5 weeks. I had a terrible time the 1st 2 weeks. Headaches, insomnia, panic attacks, dry mouth, yawning. By the end of week 2 my headaches & panic attacks went away and just last week I started sleeping much better. It was terrible but gratefully things have calmed down. I don't think my primary Dr knows much about the SSRI's and advised me to get off Cit at week 4 because I was complaining of dry mouth. Luckily, from what I've learned here and other sites, it takes months sometimes to get past all of the side effects. I didn't think I'd ever get a full nights sleep again nor did I think I'd be done with "cotton mouth"!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.