citalopram for pmdd=bad pmt

Posted , 4 users are following.

[color=blue:5781d716c6][/color:5781d716c6]my doctor has just put me on citalopram tablets for bad pre mem tens, pmt, 2 weeks before every period i start of taking half a 20mg tab for the first 3 days then a whole tab everyday after but have to stop as soon as period starts, then have to repeat this process every time. how does that work? what about the 2 weeks when im not taking it? does some of it remain in the system until i start taking them again 2 weeks pryor to my next scheduled period? and when are the affects felt? ive just finished my first 2 week course and do feel somewhat better but is it to early to tell?? or am i just wishful thinking

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Jellybelly (love the name lol)

To be honest I'm not quite sure how this will work as citalopram are said to take a good few weeks to start working.

I think I'd be tempted to contact your GP and double check how to take them.

Good luck and do please let us know how you get on.

Melbi x

• Posted

I was told Citalopram takes at least 4 to 6 week to benefit from its effects and get into your system to start working properly.

Stopping and starting sound different, I would consult your doctor on this, to me this does not sound right. I'm not a doctor so this is from my own personal experience and what I have been told by the proffessionals.

There can be side effect starting the tables and would assume side effect when withdrawing from them.

It all sound very odd to me.

• Posted

MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO DO THE SAME, 10MG CITALOPRAM FOR THE 2WKS BEFORE MY PERIOD THEN STOP WHEN BLEEDING, BUT SINCE THEY TAKE 2WKS TO WORK (PROB FEELING LOUSEY) THEN WITHDRAWLS WHEN YOU ARE BLEEDING AND SUPPOSED TO BE ON YOUR GOOD 2WKS! SO INSTEAD I TOOK DIAZEPAM FOR 2WKS AND AM STILL HAVING WITHDRAWLS SO THEYRE IN THE BIN! MABEY HAVE TO TAKE CITRALOPRAM EVERYDAY! X
  • Posted

I am shocked to read that citalopram is being prescribed for PMT!! I'm not a doctor either but it stands to reason that it takes four weeks to get into the system and start working; we all know from reading this site that there are side effects starting and stopping this drug; so how can it possibly help to start and stop it on a regular basis?? I don't know how severe your PMT is but have you tried FEMINAX? You buy it over the counter. It really zapped it for me, felt great and full of energy to get through the day. Only side effect was it made me very dehydrated and alcohol was an absolute no-no. Mind you that was twenty years ago although I have seen it recently advertised on TV so I know it is still around.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.