Citalopram for the first time

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had anxiety for a while now. Took sertraline for about a year and came off in January. Started to feel bad so took propranolol for a while but these gave bad side effects so stopped recently. Now spoke to doctor about taking antidepressants again. Said I was worried about the side effects I had when I started sertraline, so this time been prescribed citalopram. I’ve read about it triggering heart issues, and now I’m worried that I haven’t been given an ECG or even face to face exam before taking it (spoke to doctor over the phone). Im now terrified to try it. Im worried I’ll have an underlying heart condition that will be triggered by taking this. I probably would’ve felt better taking sertraline again as I’ve been on this before, but then what if citalopram is actually better for me. I know my anxiety won’t be helping these thoughts, but I’m really scared because if my thoughts are correct I don’t want to have a heart attack or something

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi Steve, i used to be on citalopram from 2017-2018 and i had experienced side effects for about the first week or so. It was my first time on an antidepressant and i was unaware of the side effects so when my anxiety was through the roof after starting it i thought i was losing my mind. Come to find out my doctor failed to mention the side effects to me so once i found out i wasnt going crazy i was able to deal. I stopped taking citalopram after having a baby and a year later decided i wanted to get back on it. The side effects the second time were so intense i couldnt take it and only made it a week. I had the most intense insomnia and didnt sleep for 6 days straight, my anxiety was so high and im sure not sleeping was a big factor in that as well. I ended up taking 4 weeks off from work because of how out of touch with reality i felt. I never had heart problems from taking it though. Here it is a few years later and im struggling with my anxiety but i am terrified of trying another antidepressant because i dont want to go through that again. I had a baby 4 months ago and i think i am struggling with postpartum depression/anxiety and im just so tired of feeling anxious. But im so scared to try medication again. Im sorry if my response isnt helpful but i just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I have been living in my head for the last 4 months with intrusive thoughts and fear about the most ridiculous things and i just want to be okay and feel "normal" again. Not sure about you but i fear that i will go "crazy" and i need to be okay not only for myself but for my babies.

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear you feel this way. It's really terrifying. I'm very lucky to have family around me that understand and look after me. Have you let others know how you are feeling so they can help support? It's so hard to have to face all this, but like you said we're not alone. I've had to stop citalopram now because of the horrendous side effects (also not slept properly in a week) and will be taking sertraline. I've taken this before so I'm hoping my body will recognise it. Everything is so much harder when you can't sleep!

• Posted

yes its like vicious circle... anxiety= no sleep, no sleep=anxiety! let me know how the sertraline goes, my dr prescribed 20mg sertraline but i have yet worked up the courage to try it. Also, i am pretty open about my anxiety with my family but i think i need to finally give in to getting professional help from a therapist or psychiatrist. I'm not against therapy at all and I'm the first one to encourage others to get help but for some reason i don't take care of myself in that matter. I just need to get stop telling myself i can handle this on my own and muster up the courage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.