Citalopram has started me on a road to recovery.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

When I started taking Citalopram I did alot of online reading & felt quite pessimistic given all the bad reviews.

I can actually say that after 6 months I am finally feeling more normal. Okay so I am still somewhat depressed & have depressive moments....but not to the extent of how I was before....I have long term depression but from around christmas 2009 i started gradually lapsing into a hole, which really hit me in april - may that I couldnt cope anymore and finally went to see the doctor who gave me citalopram.

Now this wasnt without side effects, my short term memory isnt what it used to be and in the first 6 weeks i had an inability to concentrate. However mostly I feel normal like Im not taking anything, provided I take them at the same time each day. There has been a little trial & testing of what time of day is best to take them as in the morning i felt drowsy and in the evening i couldnt sleep - so somewhere in between seems the best bet at the moment.

I have come out of the hole I was in....at this point I couldnt remember ever not being depressed, & was quite suicidal. But even after getting out of that, I dont feel quite as bad as my 'general state' was before. I used to break down & cry alot in private or with my boyfriend for no reason & be quite anxious. Now I only cry when it is not unusual to do so, like when my gran was poorly or when I am physically exhausted from work due to long travel etc.

I dont see myself has a 'happy bunny' who gets excited about 'stuff'. But I dont think I ever will be. I still carry my depression with me everyday - but I can now handle it alot better, and once Im up and out the house I sometimes feel not depressed at all.

When i started with Citalopram it leveled me out so I wasnt crying but wasnt laughing either, I was like a monotone. I think the benefits are so gradual that even after 6-8 weeks I was still unsure if it was working and wanted a higher dose or something that would work on not just seritonin...this might be something to experiment with in the future...but I think I can stick with what Im on for now.

I beg you all not to quit the medication before you have given it a proper chance. I know some people have said 'its like taking a bad E', but really these are just the initial side effects & do quickly pass. Its not until about 4-5 months that Im feeling progressively better. I cant say 'im totally better' afterall does anyone ever get totally cured from depression? However every few weeks I keep thinking Im better than I was afew weeks ago.....so now I can see it is a very slow and unnoticeable change.

xxxxx

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello

That is reassuring to know. I am three weeks into my dose of 20mg and still constantly question, will i ever get better. It gives me hope when i read stories like yours.

So well done and big huge thanks

xx

• Posted

It's really good to hear positive posts. I've tried both citalopram and seroxat and, believe you me, citalopram is a big improvement - no lightning bolts in the head and no false confidence. Just a gradual movement towards normality and control. My message would be to persist with it. Keep strong.
  • Posted

[quote:cddfb775e2=\"john729\"]It's really good to hear positive posts. I've tried both citalopram and seroxat and, believe you me, citalopram is a big improvement - no lightning bolts in the head and no false confidence. Just a gradual movement towards normality and control. My message would be to persist with it. Keep strong.[/quote:cddfb775e2] Hi, i took my first 20mg yesterday morning,for about 15 hours i felt as if i was right out of my head, it was horrible. so i have just taken a 10mg pill to see if its any better. if it is i will stay on that dosage. dont want to go through that horror again.
  • Posted

I started on 20mg and found that the side effects were bad for 5 days or so. At week 7 my dosage was increased to 30mg as some of the beneficial effects were wearing off. When I increased the dosage I had no bad side effects.

I have been on 30mg for 3 months and I am much improved.

I agree with the original post.

Linda

• Posted

People like you are what give me hope. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.