Citalopram = heartburn ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

since i started 10mg - 20mg but i snap in half , i been getting really bad burning that wont go away

sitting = burning

lying = burning

lying sideways = burning

eating = burning

standing up = burning

i have acid reflux since baby but i never got the burning feeling normally i get bubbles and noises coming up as i can not burp

but now my throat feels red raw and flemy / people sayying its not the meds

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

SSRI medications can cause the Lower Esophegeal Sphincter to relax, allowing for stomach acid to back-flow into the esophagus. However, this is often a an early side effect that resolves over time. My personal experience with SSRI medications has been that I get daily heartburn whether I take them or not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.