Citalopram, hell in pill form.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My GP put me on citalopram, 40mg a say for depression & anxiety and the side effects I've had have been horrific. It did help with the anxiety but didn't help much at all for the depresson. After being on it for a couple of months I've had to stop taking it, against the GPs advice because of the side effects and inability to help with the depression. Whilst on it I was so irritable and argumentative, it seemed to be turning me into a complete raging idiot. Even the slightest things would get me flying into a rage, mouthing off to people who really didn't deserve it and leaving me shaking with anger. I have also found out since stopping it that it was cauding uncontrollable sweating all over my body so much it looked as if i had a bucket of water poured over me, I even killed my mobile phone with my sweat. I had asked the GP about the sweating but was told there was nothing that could be done about it and I would just have to put up with it, at no point ws it suggested that it was caused by he citalopram. I have since been seen by a psychiatrist who has put me onto a different antidepressant and the side effects are finally reducing in intensity and frequency.

This is just my personal experience with citalopram, your experiences may differ. smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya... Thank god you ve come off it!!. Your story proves that it's not for everyone although I know it's great for some..I hope you get much better with your new drug!, good luck x
  • Posted

Thanks Helen. As well as the new meds, sertraline, I'm also giving turmeric a try. Studies have shown it's as good if not better than antidepressants and is great for many other illnesses too.

• Posted

I took Sertraline with no side effects.  Let us know how you get on with it
    • Posted

Hi Anne,

I'm really not doing well at all at the moment with the sertraline but I have just found out it has some serious interactions with the tramadol that I am taking. Looks like another trip to the psychiatrist is needed for another change in medications.

• Posted

So sorry you went through such trauma, I really hope your recovery goes well.  I too had horrible reaction to cit, my doc wasn't keen either for me to stop but did at least agree that I was having an allergic reaction and not just 'side effects'.  I had the sweating too, really unusual for me as I've never suffered a sweat problem before.  I also had severe hair loss, not just thinning but sudden and copious amounts of hair fell out in just a short space of time.  I had aweful headaches also and I've almost never had a headache in the past.  Headaches so intense it felt like a drill and my eyesight would be affected by them.  Cit really does work for a lot of people, it definitely reduced my anxiety but the effects above were so bad I definitely couldn't continue with it.  Unfortunately it seems to be the first port of call now for all forms of depression and anxiety and it most certainly isn't suitable for everyone.  I hope the new meds you're on kick in soon and help you through this. xx
  • Posted

Well I have made up my mind never to take Citalopram.  I had asked the question about others experiences.  I have tried so many anti depressants with side effects.  I think  I will stay medication free for now.  Took me months to withdraw from Effexor so don't want to go back on that.  Prozac worse thing I ever took.  What do we do?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.