Citalopram hello weight gain vs weightliss increase hunger

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys hope you can help,

I've been on citalopram for 6 months jow and due to no confidence low moods etc anyway spoke to gp and they wanted to increase which I was fine 40 mg to 80 mg In which I was fine but after taking for a month went back for new prescription by doctor, saw a different gp and they said if I increase my appetite will increase does anyone agree as I'm so scared and worried as I am massively over weight and my mental state is bad at times so please help

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi sheree,

I had to try several different medications befor I found one that worked for me (citalaprolam). Maybe you should suggest to your gp trying a different med. If it hasn't worked by now, it probably won't and here in the states, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has stated that any dose of 60mg or over for citalaprolam is ineffective, so most docs here won't even go to 60mg.

There are tons of other meds out there. It's definately time to try a different one.

• Posted

Hi Sheree,

Taking medication DOES help BUT we MUST not rely on them completely. Self help you say! Easier said than done I know as I've been through it sadly. I weaned myself off cipralex some 10mths ago after 11yrs on the lowest dose. I'm in a very good place now but have my moments. Support from bosom friends helps too. Keeping busy. In my opinion, high doses are NOT the answer. I wish you luck. Hugs x

• Posted

I've taken Citralopram for 15 years, and if you need medication, then so be it.  People take medication for many serious illnesses, and depression is no different.  People often try and go it alone without meds, fearing it's some kind of weakness if they can't cope without, but depression is an illness not a weakness.  You wouldn't try and cope with diabetes alone.  Citralopram is not addictive, and if it helps, then why not.

I've only ever taken 20mg and have recovered on this and been well for years.  I've never had any weight increase, only a little but that's due to getting older.  I have heard that some people put weight on, though am not sure if it's any different upping the dose.

It takes a long time to recover from this illness, and everyone is different and of course, each react to different meds too.

Also when recovering you'll have many ups and downs, and that often foxes people into thinking they aren't getting better, and often make the mistake of upping the meds too.  This ups and period is normal, and slowly the downs will get less and less.

K xx

• Posted

Last sentence should have said ' this up and down period is normal ......'

biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.