Citalopram Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I have been taking 20mg Citalopram for about 10 months now. I didn't take it for depression really, just anxiety and OCD. I am feeling great lately and its almost all a thing of the past which is brilliant, but ive got a bit ahead of myself and have managed to miss 3 tablets, and can't get any until tomorrow morning.

I have missed 2 or 3 before to be honest and haven't thought about it at all and have been absolutely fine, but i am feeling a bit light headed which has got me panicking. I have googled (big mistake) it and have read horrible things like you an get hallucinations and god knows what, so i am in an absolute panic about it now, even though i feel pretty much fine, i have got myself in a state.

I haven't drunk much today and it is my time of the month and i get things like this every month but i can't put it down to that because all i can think about is the fact i have missed pills! sad 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Georgina smile

firstly - don't panic - no need to be anxious.

citalopram has a half-life of 36hours, which means that it will still be in your body for 2 days after your last dose.

your serotonin levels may start to decrease gradually over the coming days but you will be getting a new prescription tomorrow, so your body won't be feeling withdrawal symptoms just yet.

serotonin levels naturally fluctuate during a woman's monthly cycle and that can affect your mood.

because you feel light headed - sounds to me like your blood sugar is low - so a glass of milk or a banana ought to make you feel a bit better. Eat as well as you can today perhaps a bit of fish? - omega-3 works wonders for our hormones.

take it easy today & sleep well - try to control your anxiety - you will start feeling better  within the next day.

sleepy crow xx

• Posted

Hiya Sleepy Crow, thanks so much for your fast reply, it has helped me understand so much better! I will definitely have some milk and make sure i have a big dinner etc, your reply has really helpded, thanks again! Hope you are having a good day!

Georgie xx

• Posted

Agree with sleepy crow, you'll be fine. Important to recognise your fear and panic response to this, watch it come and watch it leave. Do some deep relaxation exercises and take care of yourself.  It will pass and you'll be fine.
    • Posted

Thank you zoopanzee, you are definitely right - a lot of this is a panic response! 

Thanks again for your reply. xx

• Posted

Agree with sleepy crow...but whilst I am on here has anyone come off this and tried St. John's wort. . .? I too went on it for anxiety and am trying that, on my 14 th day but still having bad days...am trying to remember did I have them on cit...I was brilliant at 20 mg but am sure the long term side effects aren't good 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.