Citalopram help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered emetophobia since I can remember,it has got to the point where I had to see my gp as it's got so bad.A month ago I was on holiday and was eating mashed potato,as I swallowed it went down wrong and came back up a bit and made me panick.ever since this happened I'm unable to eat,I've got so much anxiety now ,it's like it's controlling my natural ability to swallow,I was prescribed 10mg citolopram for a week then increase to 20mg plus 2mg diazapam to calm me down.i have been on the 20mg for 2 weeks and feel no better,I still can't eat,as soon as I put anything in my mouth I chew and chew and worry to swallow.what is normally a natural thing has now become a massive problem.i have lost a stone and my anxiety is getting worse as I'm worried about loosing more weight.im wondering if the citolopram are ever going to help as I am desperate to eat normal,please help

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that.....I have same problem too with mashed potato and tinned salmon.....it's as if they are too dry to swallow, but when it gets stuck I get a rush of saliva. Why don't you try puréed food or soups for s while till you get ur confidence back? Porridge for brek, yoghourts for snacks? Good luck

• Posted

I have tried everything from liquid food like soups and yoghurt,and Ice cream,but it's whatever I put in my mouth and try and swallow,it's as if my mind is telling me I'm not going to be able to swallow naturally.ehat exactly does the citalopram do to your brain,is it ever gonna change my way of thinking I can't swallowing without panicking,I'm not sure exactly what these tablets are supposed to do.

• Posted

Citalopram are antidepressants which also help calm anxiety. You naturally got a very big shock when you thought you were choking....anyone would. The meds will increase a natural hormone in your brain called serotonin.....it improves mood and calms you. At the moment you will be in panic mode.
    • Posted

So basically 2 weeks of 20mg is not doing much at the moment,I have to let them start working before I see any sign of improvement.do they change the way your brain is thinking,at the moment it's telling me I cant swallow naturally,I'm hoping they are going to get me to believe I can swallow naturally and eat anything without anxiety of swallowing.

• Posted

Have you had success on citolopram as at the moment I can't seem to believe they will work

• Posted

Try drinking nutrition drinks you get at pharmacist. Pinch your nose when you eat??
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply,I'm absolutely fine with drinks,I can drink with no problems at all,so I have been drinking protein shakes just so that I got something to keep me going

• Posted

2 weeks it too early

u will notec the diffrent in week 8 and recover in week 12

• Posted

Thanks for your reply,do you think I should keep on the 20mg for a few more weeks ,or ask my doctor to up the dose to 30mg.im so desperate to eat ,I'm starving and loosing weight,and getting depressed now that this thought of swallowing is taking over my ability to eat.

• Posted

Do discuss with your doc.....let him/her decide for you. I was started on 20mg last Wed, I increased to 30 today, and go onto 40 next thurs.....my doc advised me to do this. Let your doc be your guide. Yes you'll get side effects (inc increased anxiety) but they go after a few weeks

• Posted

I'm just so worried I'm not going to be able to eat properly again ??

• Posted

it's too early to higher the dose

my advise to wait

u will be fine believe me

but u can ask ur Doctor also

but wait at least 9 week or 8

don't reash to higher dose so fast

• Posted

You will get better. All of us have our anxieties and fear we will never get better. Keep telling yourself you WILL get better.
    • Posted

Is it true that your anxiety gets worse the first few weeks as your body gets used to the tablets ,then will get better as the first few weeks are over and your body adapts to the meds

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.