Citalopram help please

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have been on Citalopram since oct 2011 i am now on 40mg a day i feel no better should i go and see doctor again or is it too soon to see any affect ,any advise would be welcome

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Having been treated for several years for moderately severe depression, I have always been told that it can take 4 to 8 weeks for full benefit to be shown when assessing if a particular antidepressent was showing any worthwhile benefit. Also to go back to my doctor no later than 8 weeks if no worthwhile benefit. There are plenty of different antidepressents and what works for one person doesn't for another, can be a bit wearing trying a different medication but worthwhile in the end. Also have you been referred for CBT?

• Posted

Having been treated for several years for moderately severe depression, I have always been told that it can take 4 to 8 weeks for full benefit to be shown when assessing if a particular antidepressent was showing any worthwhile benefit. Also to go back to my doctor no later than 8 weeks if no worthwhile benefit. There are plenty of different antidepressents and what works for one person doesn't for another, can be a bit wearing trying a different medication but worthwhile in the end. Also have you been referred for CBT?

• Posted

thanks for your reply ,do you think i should increase the amount i take or see the doctor to try another type
  • Posted

I would never change the dose without seeing the doctor. This also applies to stopping an antidepressant, as the dose normally needs tapering off slowly. Go and talk to your doctor and be as honest as you can. Us men are nortoriously bad about talking about depression to medics (something to do with embarrassment), yet your doctor will have had many men through his surgery with similar problems and the more you can tell him the more chance he has of helping

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.