Citalopram help please

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello , I have been on citalopram about 2 1/2 weeks . I take it at night but have found recently I now have bad anxiety in the mornings for the first hour or two . Has anyone else experienced this ? I find again my anxiety is worse about 5pm again. I'm wondering if I need to change the time I take it ? It's that bad I'm thinking of asking for beta blockers sad

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's early days for you yet. It's quite normal to want an instant fix, but citalopram doesn't work that way. Recovery takes time but it will come!

If you feel you need extra help along the way ie beta blockers or sleep aids well that's OK as well. You must not worry that it's 'bad' to need help. Things will improve slowly, give it time??

• Posted

That happened to me as well. I was given Ativan to make it through those rough times, mine was around 3pm.

My dosage was increased to 20mg at 5 weeks and now on 30mg. I am off the Ativan and doing well with a beta blocker

It takes at least 8 weeks or so to get more positive effects, sone a little earlier and sone later.

• Posted

Hi,

I've been on them for about 4 weeks now. I have bad aniexty in the morning at the start but it is slowly improving. I am feeling more positive about taking them now, hang on in there you will get there. I found asking for other people's advise in here a big help too. Do you have CBT? I have found that a big help to.

• Posted

Hi Kathkat,

You are still very early on, and need to give it more time.  I know it's rough in the beginning, but if you can hang in there a bit longer, and let it work on you, you will start to feel better.  It would not be a bad idea to give your doctor a call though, let them know how you are feeling.  They may give you something to help you through the rough part.  I know it's hard.  It can take a good 6-8 weeks, depending on the person.  Everyone is different.  Some take less time, some take more time, and some have less side effects, and some experience more.  I always say keep in touch with your doctor, as they can't help you, if they don't know how you are doing on the meds.  So, for sure give them a call, as there are things they can give you to help in the beginning. 

Now, keep in mind, you may start to feel good, and then you may feel like you have taken some steps backward before moving forward again.  You will get there, it does get better!!  Keep posting, keep talking, keep checking in with your doctor, keep hanging in there.  You will be glad you did.  Cital is a good med, but if you are not feeling like it is working at the 6-8 week mark, talk to your doctor, as it may not be for you, it's not for everyone, but there are other meds out there that are good.  Just keep in mind...they all have side effects, and you would have to come off of Cital very slowly, and go on a new one...and go through the side effects of that one.  That is why I encourage you to try to hang in there, and give it the time before making changes. 

There are a lot of people on here with a lot of great advice.  We have all been through either the same, or similar things, so we understand what other's are going through, or have gone through.  You can say what you need to say, don't worry about it!  So you take care, and we are here for you!!  In the mean time...here is a {{{{HUG}}}} for you...we all can use those, that's for sure!!  XO

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.